Chapter 23.

After the hospital visit, Lisa and I returned to the school. We went into the Garden together. Lisa got me a carton of milk before we discussed our private investigation. It was already past midday. The sun was hiding behind a huge mass of clouds above the sky, so we were able to sit around the broken fountain together and read the last diary. Lisa had found a few important entries in the book. And the rest of the story was like this:

March 27th

Lisa is two years old now, growing strong and happy. I am so content to see her enjoying life like... children. At the same time, I'm utterly scared. I don't know how long it will take for them to discover us. We have been living in secret yet under safe cover of normalcy. The Royal Council will never stop hunting until they find us. All I want is a normal family with Marco and Lisa by my side, but it is too much to ask if you were locked in a structure of the Underworld.

But what grief me the most is the stricken news of his Highness, Prince Vladimir and the fate of his human family. He was like a brother to me, but now he is gone, leaving me stranded all alone. And no one in the world could tell me what happened to his beloved human wife.

I wonder what it would be like if they had a child like I do. That could be the most wonderful thing for the last three hundred years of our lives, but also the worst fear for our kind. The prophecy has been around for millennia, and nobody can figure out why it is the way it is.

Priscilla.

May 5th

My older sister Florentine showed up this morning. It's been decades since I last saw her. The reunion surprised me as I did not know how she could find my secret nest. Her presence brought both comfort and alarm. The fact that, she had carried along words of warning about my illegal life. But she took one glance at Lisa and went frightening pale. That's when I realized what the prophecy is all about. The offspring of a human and a vampire is prophesied by the original creator millennia ago. Being inherited from two superior races on the planet, this gives them unimaginable power within their blood. We're forbidden to fall in love with humans to prevent us from creating another demon on earth. But I have no idea whether the prophecy is true or some myth. However, Florentine grew fond of my angelic daughter immediately, but still, I do not understand how my heavenly Lisa is destined to be a great destruction to our vampire race.

December 31st

Lord Dimitri, my dear friend had come all the way from Russia to inform me in person. He told me the Royal Council has decided to start the hunt for my family. He advised us to flee our home, finding a place where the sun shines all day and no one can recognize us, but it is difficult since I used to serve as a Lady in the Council myself. I thanked the Lord for his warning and all the helps he had provided for us over the years. Then I prepared my family and set out for a long journey at first light. If we are lucky, we will be able to make it together. But if luck is not on my side, I will do everything within my power to protect my precious daughter and my dear husband.

Priscilla.

I finished reading the entries and looked at Lisa. The diary ended on December 31st; I didn't need to ask what happened to her family after that. Lisa's face darkened, she had a faraway look as if she was remembering the old times. In the last entry, it seemed like her mom knew what her future would turn out to be.

"You know," I began to speak, "My Dad, he also mentioned something about the prophecy in his letter,"

Lisa turned to me again.

"Can I read his letter?" She asked, and I quickly searched in my backpack and took out my dad's letter which I had kept around with me. Lisa began to read it. After she finished, she sighed heavily.