Chapter 38.

After the experiment was over, Lisa figured that she wanted to visit my mom at the hospital. I think it was a very comforting idea. I didn't want anything bad to happen to my mom while I was away from her, but at the same time, I felt like Lisa did seem slightly aloof from me than usual. And to put it lamely, I felt a little pouty about it.

"I'll see you tomorrow," I said when I saw her off by the school gate.

"Yes," Lisa smiled, but it didn't seem to reach her eyes. She turned and walked towards the steel door.

"Lisa wait!" I said, going up to her. She turned around and looked at me.

"Yes?"

"I... er... I..." I tried to speak, but nothing came out of my mouth.

"You have something to say?" Lisa asked. Her steady eyes gazed at my face.

"Er... nothing," I decided cowardly.

For a moment, Lisa didn't say anything. She looked at me and then she inhaled as if she hadn't been breathing for a while. Then Lisa walked up to me, putting both hands on my upper arms.

"Chaeyoung," she said softly. "I could feel you last night."

"What?"

"I was just waiting for you to say it," she continued. "But I guess we both have trust issues."

"Oh my god, Lisa," I said, "I didn't mean to hide..."

"The fact that you and Jennie hooked up?" she finished for me.

My jaw flung open.

"How...how...?" I stuttered. The evening breeze went dead and I could barely breathe.

"I don't know Chaeng," Lisa exhaled, "I have been unable to fall asleep properly ever since I met you because my heart would pound so hard at the thought of seeing you the next day, of hearing your voice and being near you again. Why would it be different last night? You might probably forget that I can feel your emotions. And last night...you were ecstatic. I didn't have to guess the rest of the story."

"Oh please, Lisa." I said on the verge of crying. "Jennie and I didn't do anything. I did... stop... I thought of you and I couldn't go on. I'm sorry. It's hard to explain, but please, understand me!"

"That's okay, Chaeng," Lisa came to put her index finger on my lips to shut me up. "I'm just upset that you didn't have the courage to tell me the truth," she said, then leaned forward and kissed me on the forehead.

"See you," she whispered, before turning to walk away.

And I was in a daze the whole walk back to the mansion. But on my way back to our suite, I found Joy in a corner with another girl. They were making out passionately while my best friend's hand was buried inside the girl's skirt between her legs. Their moans were pretty audible in the quiet hallway. I rolled my eyes, not expecting to walk in on Joy having a quickie right here. The girl had wavy blonde hair and a pair of jade green eyes.

Without further inspection, I went straight towards them and grabbed Joy by the back of her collar, tearing her away from the girl.

"What the..." she yelped, but then she saw me and went, "Oh...it's you."

"Yeah...and tell me why on earth are you here?" I asked then turning back to Joy's fling, who blushed with embarrassment. The scent of her arousal made my nose wrinkle uncomfortably.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I have something to talk to my best friend," I said, and she quickly hurried away out of the hall. I turned back to Joy who was looking down at her shoes like a guilty five-year-old.