Chapter 32.

After lunch, we went to the self-defense class. I had to retake Karate because Joy said I was so out of practice. But I wasn't going to argue with her. After the incident last night, I guess it was a miracle that I could come back in one piece. I would go and find Lisa in the Garden later. I couldn't wait to hear what she would say after I told her about my father's evil brother. Things just kept filling in the blanks.

Once we got into Karate class, Joy started teaching me some Kung Fu concepts.

"When you meet someone stronger than you, remember never attack them first."

"So I have to wait until I get my butt kicked?" I asked Joy.

"That's not what I mean, but I'll show you," Joy said, walking to the middle of the matted floor. "Now, attack me."

"Scuse you?" I said, "You don't want me to break your neck, do you?"

"If you can," she shrugged confidently.

"Alright, suit yourself," I said and then took a few steps back, preparing myself to attack. "Ready?"

Joy just smirked and held her ground firmly. I intended not to use all of my strength. I was just planning to catch her by surprise.

But as I advanced towards her in bullet-speed, Joy turned somewhat aside. And I felt her hand snaked to the back of my neck and twirled me around in a smooth motion, and I found myself crushed on the matted floor ten times harder than usual.

My head swam through outer space for a full minute before I was back to earth, along with the jarring pain in my body.

"How could...you...?" I groaned, rolling over in agony.

"Remember, ladies, with just a little understanding of comparative anatomy and physics, you too can put a grown man, or even a vampire on the ground," Joy lectured to the audience, which consisted only of Jisoo. "It's not about strength, it's about movement. You might be faster and stronger than me, but I'm the one who got all the right moves. So fair's fair."

"You mean it's not muscle, it's physics?" Jisoo said.

"Exactly," Joy responded.

I got up again and took a deep healthy breath.

"Teach me everything you know, Master," I said with a bow. Joy glowed a little at the remark. But after practice, the only skills that I really excelled at were dodging and jumping out of Joy's reach. It only took the school bell to save my life. I wonder if I was actually vampire enough.

Then I got cleaned and excused myself to go to find Lisa at the Garden. Familiar music echoed through the wood, floating marvelously in the evening breeze. I opened the old wooden door and slipped through it. Walking towards the broken fountain, I still didn't see any sight of Lisa. Suddenly a gust of wind brushed past, I turned around, and she was right behind me, smiling like a mischievous angel.

"No use trying to scare me anymore," I said.

"Why are you so late?" She asked and slipped her hands around my waist, pulling me to her.

"I started my Karate with Joy this afternoon," I told her, fidgeting around in her arms a little.

"Oh, good for you," Lisa smiled when she saw me blushing hard.

"Yeah," I said, "I got fewer punches than usual."

Lisa laughed melodiously, her brown eyes dancing. I just liked this innocent moment of her. Then she brought her face closer to mine and planted her soft lips on my reddened cheek. But I had to sigh, knowing I was going to spoil the mood.