Chapter 33.

"Mr. D!" I yelled as we ran towards the car. He was reading a newspaper while humming along to a Beethoven's Symphony.

"Mr. D!" I said again as Jennie and I shoved ourselves into the back seat. This time he jumped up, almost tearing his paper apart.

"Let's go as fast as your car could take us, now!" I said.

"Is there a grizzly bear chasing you, miss?" He asked.

"Something ugly like that," I said.

"And you come back with another beautiful young lady..."

"Mr. D, JUST GO!"

"Alright, alright!" He said, starting the engine at last. Through the window, I could see pairs of red glowing eyes watching us from the dark woods. Then they disappeared. I was surprised that they didn't follow us.

Beethoven's music kept blasting as we shot out of the quiet road.

"Where are we going?" Jennie asked again when she noticed that we didn't go back to school.

"My home," I simply said.

"What?" Jennie shrieked, looking as if I was taking her to the graveyard. "Why don't we go back to the school?"

"Not now," I said.

"Who were those guys?"

"They're vampires," I said quietly, but Mr. D was lost in his music again, so it's not likely that he could hear us all the way from the back.

"Yeah, like I was so blind to see that," she rolled her eyes. "But why are they after you?"

"I don't know."

"Aren't they just like your relatives or something?"

"No!" I snapped, "I'm different."

Jennie raised her eyebrows in surprise, "How different?"

"They were human who got turned into vampires, also called the undead,"

"And what kind of a bloodsucker are you then?" She asked, and I considered tossing her out of the limo for that. As usual, Jennie started to get on my last human nerve, but I tried to keep my cool just for the sake of Mr. D.

"I'm not turned," I said. "I'm awakened."

"What? You were born vampire?"

"Born half-vampire," I corrected her.

"And half-what?"

I turned myself around to face her.

"Like it or not, I'm also half-human," I said. "So you'd better show me some respect, alright?"

Jennie looked at me as if she was seeing me for the first time. "No freaking way."

I rolled my eyes behind my sunglasses and turned straight back. We sat in silence for a while.

"By the way," I started again. "How did you get out of the school?"

Because for all I know, the walls that bordered the Ultara Academy were too high, and nobody could climb up without setting off the security alarms.

"I just did," she said, shifting her face away to stare out the window. Why was it so difficult to tell me how she got out?

"Then why were you in the woods?" I tried again.

"Personal matter,"

"Maybe I should have left you there with those undead guys," I said.

"Then why did you come back?"