Epilogue.

I woke up feeling sore all over, but I found myself sleeping in Lisa's arms. We were in a moving car. I tried to blink the haze from my eyes in case I was dreaming. Lisa felt me stir and released me. I sat up and looked around.

"Where are we?" I asked, feeling confused.

"We're going back home," she said.

"What about the court?"

"They released us," she said. "The King granted us amnesty."

"We're free?" I asked, still unable to believe what I heard.

"Yes we are, you've earned us both the right to live," she said and smiled. "Thank you very much, Chaeng, for everything."

I returned the smile and Lisa pulled me back into her arms, and I felt so tired I couldn't find the strength to ask anything further. My head rested on her chest, listening to her soothing heartbeat, and before I drifted back to sleep, Lisa whispered softly.

"Sleep tight, my heart, you're safe with me now."

The next day, I opened my eyes to find myself in the suite again. Bright sunlight streamed through the windows. It felt like I had just woken up from a dream.

"You're up, honey?" My mother's voice came into the room.

"Mom!" I sat up, more than happy to see her again. I was so close to my death that now I couldn't bear the thought of leaving people I loved behind.

"How are you feeling, kiddo?" Mom came to hug me and kissed my brow again and again.

"I'm okay, I'm okay," I said and we pulled away, looking at each other.

"Dimitri told me everything," she said and then tears welled up in her eyes, "Oh goodness Chaeng, It's all my fault. I'm so sorry for what happened."

"No, mom, it's not your fault, don't say that," I said, choking back my own tears. "It's over now. I'm fine. See?"

"Yes, it's over now," she said, smoothing my hair. "And you're not a little girl anymore. I'm so proud of you, honey. It's just when the Headmistress told me about your disappearance, I didn't know who to turn to except Dimitri."

"He saved me," I nodded.

"He sent you this," Mom said and handed me a black box. I took it and opened the lid. Sparkling inside was my father's necklace. I thought I had lost it. It was slightly burned at the edges, but that was fine for the most part. I smiled at my mom again.

"I would have to thank Dimitri personally one of these days," I said. "And thank you for not freaking out so much, mom."

Mom just laughed.

"I'm a big girl too, kiddo," she said and kissed my forehead again.

"Were you here all night?"

"Yes," she said. "Everyone was so worried about you."

"How are my friends now?" I said. "Are they alright?"

"Don't worry, they're already waiting outside," Mom said. And then cheery laughter filled the air, Joy, Jisoo, and Jennie appeared through the door. Mom stood up and stepped away as the girls rushed in. I had almost lost them. I couldn't believe I would see them again. They were more than my friends, they were like my guardian angels.

Jisoo jumped on me first and then Joy. We laughed together as we hugged. Then I looked over to Jennie who smiled but kept her distance.

"Jennie?" I called out, extending my arm to her, but she just shook her head.