Chapter 5

5~ That Lady, Confined

"Well they can't stay in the Earl's or Lady Sin's rooms because there could be secret passages for escape," Charles Grey explained, "Also someone has to watch them in order to make sure they don't try to kill again."

"Well we refuse!" Grimsby hurriedly stated while clutching Irene's waist.

"I'm not doing it either!" Woodley interjected.

All of the other guests refused the task. Our servants tried to suggest themselves, but we're promptly refused by Charles, "No no! You all would help the Earl and Lady escape. I suppose since no one else is willing, that just leaves you!" He pointed to the professor.

Shocked, Sir Arthur must have been too absorbed in his own thoughts to follow our conversation.

Ciel dismissed Sebastian in order for him to show the guests back to their rooms.

Later that night, Veronica and Sebastian came to prepare Ciel and I for bed. I was very tired and starting to get annoyed at the situation. Veronica and I went into nearby bathroom and began the process of dressing me in a different nightgown.

"Veronica, I want you to stay with Sebastian. Even if I die tonight I will feel better knowing you have him near you," I murmured as she slipped the navy nightgown over my head and onto my pale body.

"Mistress, please do not speak of dying in my presence, it upsets me..." Veronica sighed while looking away towards the floor, "You gave me a fright this evening, it was such a change seeing you so cold and calculating like when we first met. I wish you could just be an ignorant and kind girl, I don't want to see you get hurt."

"It is not my choice to act this way, but I must do what is necessary, you know that..." I responded softly, "Remember I'm counting on you to do the same."

With that said we walked back towards the room that will now become my cage, at least it is better than when I lived with them...

I noticed that Sebastian was buttoning Ciel's nightshirt while Sir Arthur seemed to be fretting over the situation. I smirked while leaning onto the doorframe, Veronica slightly behind me. I also noticed the chain that latched itself around Arthur's wrist.

"I didn't mean to walk in on something..." I giggled slightly when Ciel's eyes flashed to me and Arthur looked up.

"What?" Arthur seemed confused. I nodded my head towards the chain and his eyes widened in shock, he seemed embarrassed.

"Oh calm down professor, she was only teasing," Ciel said with a glint of laughter in his visible eye. Ciel sat on the side of the bed while speaking to Sebastian.

Ciel looked at the fireplace before speaking again, "It's going to be cold tonight, make sure each of the guest rooms have enough coke to keep the fires going. Even if I'm not around, make sure our guests get the finest of the Phantomhive hospitality." Ciel smirked.

"Yes, my lord." Sebastian replied with a smirk, "Then please excuse me..." He attached the other end of the chain to Ciel's wrist.

"I suppose it's my turn," I shivered slightly at the thought of being restrained again. Veronica saw my hesitation as I looked at the small couch I insisted on sleeping on. I stiffly sat on the plush cushions and held out my wrist.

As Veronica locked the cuff I felt the weight of not only the metal, but also the burden of memories. Countless nights of restraint and the small almost invisible scars from where the metal had cut into my skin. My breathing began to speed up and it felt like the metal was burning the flesh of my wrist.

"My lady?" Veronica uttered in a small concerned murmur.

"I'm fine Veronica, I just need to block the thoughts. I'll be alright," I let out in a pathetic gasp, panic clear in my eyes, "Just remember what I told you and follow my orders, good night."

Veronica gave a short nod and turned to leave the room, "Goodnight mistress," she blew out the candles and took her leave.

The darkness of the room only worsened the memories and flashbacks.

"Siren?" Ciel's soft voice whispered. I noticed his body shift in order to see me better, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I tried to convince myself as well as him, but my usual confidant voice was replaced by a panicked gasp.

"Lady Sin, are you sure you are alright?" This time Arthur was the one to voice his concerns.

"It's fine, I'm okay, really," I was able to make it sound more convincing, "Anyway Professor, I'm sorry for getting you involved in this..."

"Indeed, sharing a bed with a murderer must make it hard to sleep," Ciel agreed.

"N-No, not at all! But..." Arthur trailed off, "Do you usually sleep with that eyepatch on?"

"What? Oh, yes I do." Ciel replied.

"I apologize if I'm meddling buy wouldn't it be better to let your eye get some air? It would also encourage healing-!" Arthur was cut off and I heard a small smack. He must've tried to touch the eye.

"Ah..." Ciel seemed a bit apologetic, "This injury...I had gotten it during the time I lost my family. I don't wish to see it..."

"Scars are like memories professor, no matter how much you want them to go away, they haunt you no matter what..." I spoke in the dark.

"I apologize! I was ignorant, not knowing the situation and all!!!" Arthur quickly apologized.

"Heh," Ciel let out a small chuckle, "It's funny, I don't seem to remember when I had to have an adult sleep beside me like this...on a stormy night. Yes, I believe it was when I was younger and still afraid of thunder, so I crept into my parent's bed for comfort. But now..." I heard a slight rattle of the chain.

I smiled lightly, and wonder what it must have been like to be loved by parents and family.

Closing my eyes, the haunting and terror filled memories filled my mind as sleep took me under. Please don't let the horrors of my nightmares just be a prelude for the future...