Chapter 14

That Lady, Empty Words~

"Was it really necessary to reveal yourselves?" Ciel huffed.

"He is a writer my lord, if anything he may gain inspiration from it. After all writers are those kinds of creatures besides, didn't you enjoy his works? I seem to recall your disappointment when you heard that there would be no continuation in his work," Sebastian replied.

"I'm sure his next work will be something to look forward to," Veronica smiled.

"Now then, since all of the guests have left it is time to make the lunch preparations..."

"Wait, I had assumed you didn't mention it on purpose, but you never explained Mr. Phelps death."

I looked between Sebastian and Ciel, looking at the situation and the snake used it could only mean one thing. Sebastian confirmed my suspicions at the mention of another uninvited guest before pulling out a chained crate from underneath the table.

"Open it." There was no hesitation in my voice and Sebastian followed my request with a smirk.

Snakes jumped and lunged towards Ciel and I but were quickly grabbed by Veronica and Sebastian. "They seem to be resentful towards you young master..."

Looking into the crate i saw who the guest was, "Snake..." His eyes flicked towards me and widened in recognition but quickly narrowed in hate. "He was the one that had trained the snake to kill, he always was gifted with them..."

"Siren! Why are you here? The day after Black and Smile snuck into Joker and the others' tents, they all disappeared! It's your fault! You even took Siren! says Wilde."

"That's why we followed the smell from Smile's and Siren's costumes, says Oscar..." He continued to explain how he met Soma and Agni and how they helped him get here.

"Those idiots!" Ciel seethed before giving a sigh, "So you are saying that this is my fault?"

"Yes! After you showed up they started acting weird! says Wordsworth."

"I got that they were hiding something from me, but they took me in...they called me family...And you took that from me! I will never forgive you! says Wilde."

I watched as Ciel's eye darkened, Snake seemed to have the same look as Doll did that night, "The circus group you and Siren were a part of was kidnapping children from the towns they visited. We became your companions in order to gather evidence." Ciel explained.

"They were kidnappers..." Snakes eyes widened, "That's rubbish! says Oscar."

"Rubbish? Maybe..." I gave Ciel a confused look, "But because my identity became known before I could gain evidence they made their whereabouts unknown after that..." my eyes took on a look of understanding as Ciel spun his web of lies. "In that sense I may have taken your peace from you. However, I wanted to save the children that were suffering because of them. of course I want to save you as well. Snake, come to my manner."

"Eh?" Snake began to back away after he was untied, "What are you saying!? says keats"

"You heard me right, I said I wanted to save you. We are looking for Joker and the others right now in order to clear up the situation and understand. I know that they aren't bad people and wouldn't this be the fastest way of seeing them again?"

Snake takes Ciel's offered hand and I smirk a bit at the gesture, Snake would have been safer dead but now he is tied to Ciel. I turn away from the scene and make my way out of the greenhouse.

"If you stick to a "lie" it will eventually become the "truth". Everything will go well if you simply hold your tongue." Ciel spoke to Sebastian as they trailed behind Veronica and I.

"Indeed, it was quite a clever ploy young master, though I didn't expect you to go to such lengths..."

"I've always wanted a pet, but that shouldn't matter. How are we going to explain this to the other servants?"

A day later, the two devised a plan to have a safety coffin in place for Sebastian to ring the bell and turn out to be alive by some miracle. Veronica was placed in the care of a "doctor" after Vincent had found his sister breathing shallowly in the room she was placed during the investigation. She is currently undergoing recovery. Or at least that is what everyone was told.

The funeral was a small get together filled with tears and shrill cries of sorrow. When it was time for the big reveal everyone scrambled to dig up the coffin and then promptly tackle Sebastian in joy. I smiled at the scene as I stood off to the side by Ciel and the Undertaker. I looked at Undertaker and gave a small nod of acknowledgement before he let out a short cackle.

"It is time we take our leave," I called to my servants before moving to exit the graveyard. "I will visit again soon Ciel."

The carriage ride back to my own manor was long and boring. My servants had fallen asleep due to the quiet and Veronica was back at the manor, most likely already packing away the luggage I had brought with me. Finally at sunset we rolled past the welcoming gates of my estate. I spotted Veronica standing at the door as the carriage pulled up. I stepped out and headed up the stairs in order to make my way to my study. I knew Veronica would follow.

"Close the door Veronica, It's time we had that discussion..." I looked out at the sunset from my window, the orange and red hues painting my usually dark study in the warm tones.

"I am quite impressed my lady. You were able to keep your wits about you even in my absence..."

"Enough Veronica, I'm tired of your games...I want answers," I turned to meet her gaze.

"What of my lady?"

"Why?"

"I don't understand your question..."

"Why did you do that to yourself? You have always had a bit of a dramatic streak but I never thought you would go so far as to mutilate your body in order to make it look like you were mauled by some animal," My eyes narrowed, "The plan only required a small sacrifice but to do something like that...you had to have had a reason."

Veronica's eyes narrowed into a glare, "My lady I must stress that I did in fact follow your orders, but I am not bound to you by contract. We have been watching you my lady, both Vincent and I agree that you are losing sight of your goal. You are constantly trying to please that boy of yours all the while sacrificing your needs and resources for his little game. He is blinding you, and with all due respect my lady he is contracted, no matter what happens now he is only temporary."

"Oh?" I had an edge to my tone that seemed to surprise Veronica but she continued anyway.

"Your powers are still unknown and unpredictable, you lack control. He is using you for them. I am a demon Siren, I can spot the evil in everyone, it's what I know. Ciel isn't in love with you, he is using feelings to manipulate you for your powers. You are a game to him, something to occupy his time as he hunts down his prey. YOu might be his queen but you are still a pawn."

"Enough!" I could feel the tears forming as I met Veronica's eyes, "You know nothing..."

"Do I Siren? Or is it you that knows nothing?" Veronica gave a small curtsey, "I must take my leave now mistress, excuse me."

As she left I felt my legs give way, I collapsed to the floor, a small sob escaping, "I already knew that Veronica...I already knew...you didn't have to voice my thoughts." I curled into myself, "Now it means I have to believe it..."