Chapter 9

9~ That Lady, Defending

I watched silently as Arthur knelt down to examine the body. Everyone was quite shocked. I turned to Ciel before moving forward to sit next to Arthur and the body of Mr. Phelps.

"Quite some time has passed, rigor mortis has already set in..." I spoke in a calm and soft manner.

"Please tell me this is just some nightmare, this can't be real..." Grimsby finally said as he stood in front of Irene, shielding her from view.

"There isn't any external trauma like the other three," Arthur stated.

I leaned closer to the body and saw bite marks, "Look," I pointed to his neck, "There are puncture wounds, maybe he was injected with poison from a needle or something..."

"A needle?" Ciel glared at Lau, only to find him rummaging through his personal wardrobe. I had gotten up to stand by his side, watching them.

"Oh my! The Lord has such wonderful living quarters indeed!" Lau commented while Ran-Mao was trying on one of Ciel's hats.

"Don't go searching through someone's things as you please!" Ciel shouted.

"Oh and you kept the dress I gave you! Have you worn it?" Lau asked completely ignoring Ciel.

"Listen when I'm talking to you!" Ciel shouted.

For the first time since the incident, I smiled slightly. Ciel walked over and gave me a small kiss on the cheek. I saw his eyes flash to Lau with a grim look.

"They could also be bite marks from a beast..." Arthur pondered.

"Bite marks on the neck...kind of reminds you of Carmilla don't you think?" Irene wondered aloud.

"You mean like the vampire?" Ciel asked while he held me around the waist. I leaned onto his shoulder.

"Complete rubbish! You're trying to say that he was killed by something as unscientific as a vampire!?" Woodley complained.

"Huh, unscientific? Well I guess you could say that..." Ciel mumbled while holding me tighter.

"2:38." Arthur spoke from beside Ciel's bed. He was looking at a clock.

Ciel shifted away from me and went to go speak with Arthur, "Isn't that the clock I kept at my bedside?" I nodded confirming his suspicion.

"He must have knocked it over while he was thrashing around in pain," I spoke.

"So in other words, he died at 2:38, correct?" Ciel asked.

"Yes," Arthur confirmed.

"Hey, instead of standing around why don't we sit and discuss this somewhere else?" Lau suggested, "We could have some tea as well."

"Indeed, Tanaka escort everyone to the drawing room," Ciel ordered.

"Vincent, help him..." I spoke quietly.

"Certainly," Tanaka replied.

"Yes my lady," Vincent bowed before going to help Tanaka.

Once we were all seated and had been served steaming cups of tea, we began discussing the murders and their times.

I perched myself on the arm of the large seat Ciel occupied. I honestly couldn't be bothered, the men wouldn't listen to me anyway. They determined that Siemens was killed "first" then is was Mr. Phelps and then Sebastian and Veronica.

"We saw Sebastian!" Finny piped up. Ciel, Arthur and I couldn't read the clock at the time when they visited us. The servants were given orders by him.