Chapter 13

That Lady, Explaining

Morning arrived, Woodley was carted away in a carriage and Ciel and I proceeded to say farewell to the guests. I smiled to Arthur before saying goodbye, "You have a strong mind Professor, it would be a waste to not utilize it." I noticed his soft smile before leaving him to his carriage. Jeremy had stepped up to the door as I moved inside.

Jeremy had come back inside to join us, it was time for some morning tea and preparations were necessary for reports to the queen. I turn suddenly, my hair flaring out as I turn at the sound of the main door being slammed open.

"My, why so flustered?" Jeremy gave Arthur a sly glance from our position on the staircase.

"Sweetheart, did you forget somethin'?" Christine placed a hand on her hip and tilted her head to the side.

Through panting breaths Arthur met their gaze with a look of grim determination, "I came here, to confirm the truth. Pastor Jeremy, Christine...no. Sebastian and Veronica..."

They both gave devilish smiles in response, "It seems we underestimated you Professor..." Veronica took of the brown wig revealing her long white tresses and placed her glasses into her pocket, her eyes already faded to their normal red. Sebastian had taken off his mask, hair falling to frame his face once more. I noticed the shocked expression on Arthur's face.

"Why so shocked?" I asked from my place at the stairs. I stood tall in my black and lavender tea dress, "Surely you came here because you were certain..."

"Indeed, you would have been able to return to your "reality" if you had just left things as they were," Sebastian addressed Arthur almost mockingly, "Why then did you return? Trembling even..."

"If my hunch was correct, that would mean that I would need to go after the Yard's carriage."

"Haha..." Ciel's laugh cut into the conversation sharply as eyes fell to him. "Your sense of justice is strong Professor, but didn't you realize that if you learned the truth you wouldn't be able to return home?"

"What!?"

"Ciel, you're frightening him..." I turn to start moving up the stairs once more with a small laugh.

"It was only a joke, even so," Ciel turned back to look at Arthur, "While Woodley wasn't the criminal in this case, he deserves to be in that carriage. Let's not stand and talk, we might as well have some tea, Sebastian."

"Yes my lord."

"Please follow me Professor, and do calm down...We won't eat you..." Veronica snickered a bit as she moved to lead Arthur to the greenhouse.

"You do wish to know the truth, correct?" Sebastian prompted.

Moments later we were all seated with tea and snacks for our liking, Arthur seemed hesitant while Ciel and I proceeded to drink and indulge in sweets like normal.

"Come now professor, we haven't poisoned anything. Please help yourself," I nodded towards his full teacup.

"So, how did you know that they were alive Professor?" Ciel got straight to the point after a sip of tea.

"I never had any real concrete proof, it was more of a feeling. Things didn't fit right, they were just too perfect. All of the stories and acts that followed were fabricated so perfectly there was no room for suspicion but that is what made it so strange..."

"And by stating this, what is it you are trying to say?" Sebastian tilted his head slightly.

"There was no way you could have prepared everything so perfectly, everything following your murder was too well thought out. There was no way one could have planned everything so flawlessly." Arthur explained his concerns thoroughly, "Furthermore, Jeremy and Christine's sudden appearance was suspicious no matter how you look at it, but the alibi was too perfect to deny. Not to mention your parting words...the moment I heard them I realised the reason for my discomfort! The possibility that something unreal would overthrow all of our reasoning."