Chapter 4

"No!" I yelled, fluttering my eyes open in a thunder as I heaved my whole upper body up from the comfort of my bed. Without notice did my eyes darted from every corner of the room with alarm, unable to shudder the consternation I perceived. I touched my shoulder, but the claw of the savage man was nowhere in imprint to my skin.

With a heavy eye, I stood up from my bed and pushed the window open. The leaves of the trees trickle with droplets of little rain, a sign that it indeed thundered yesterday.

Was it all a dream? I asked myself low, glancing down on the edge of the window as I tried hard to remember what had happened from that stormy night. Yet, the man's face felt blurred from my thoughts, impotent to take me back as if a wall was struck to my face.

I pushed it all aside and turned to the door with a shaking head, pushing it open as I heard a muffled cry from Graciella's room. I was stricken with fear of the worse and immediately went inside her chamber door in a bolt, to my surprise, it wasn't she who cried but rather our mother.

She sat close to Graciella's bed with both of her hands squeezing Graciella's left hand beneath her grasps while she sat on a violet cushioned chair beside her daughter's sleeping form.

I inched forward and covered my mouth, baring to keep a gasp in place. Graciella was far from asleep, her eyes were wide open with her lips inches apart. Her visage was not in terror, no, she looked as if she were to be a stone statue with color. "Your dear sister won't wake up, (y/n)!" my mother explained in between her sobs, feeling powerless over controlling her trembling tone.

I shook both of her shoulders lightly and leaned close to her lips, relieve to find her still breathing from her frozen body. I gently closed both of her eyelids and glanced back to my mother whom I exchanged looks with. "She's breathing, mother. I'll call a physician right away!" I said and began to take big steps towards the door but was ceased by her hand pulling me back.

"No, (y/n). We can't risk it!" she frowned with tears falling down on her cheeks like waterfalls. "But mother, we need to! It's the only way we can stop this illness from swallowing her whole!" I replied back, pulling my arm to tore away from her tight clench on my forearm.

"You don't understand, my dear (y/n)! The prince had accused her of being a witch, if this abnormality spreads on our town, they might decapitate your sister!" my mother spoke out loud, finding her words rather complicated as I never would have imagined for the prince to be as cruel as the word it defines it to be.

My mind went into fiery, wishing to enter the castle walls in hopes of his apologies, but I knew I was powerless against a high ranker of a royal.

"I'll...I'll find a way, mother! I swear I will," I said in desperation, trying to find comfort in my own words as to save my sister from her ill body.

I left the room with reverie, my thoughts clouded with countless things I wish to shut off. I felt lorn over the situation I had sucked myself into, a conflicting war on my head heeding my attention rather than the path that I took on this earthly floors.

I stopped myself from walking, slowly glancing up at the venetus of the wondrous blue. I wanted to scream, to insult the waves and fishes from the under. I wanted to spill out the frustration and anger I had felt that had fallen on both of my shoulders, I wanted my sister back.

"What have we done to receive this horrible fate? What have we done to anger you!" I yelled at the top of my lungs, relieve of feeling not one's stare engraved on me as I let myself break apart in front of the cerulean waters.

I fell to my knees, clawing both of my hands on the sand with tears that spilt like a river as it welled deep inside with my heart aching from the uncontrollable sobs and a hitching suspire.

"Please..." I softened my voice in a mutter, skipping a breath as I glanced upwards at the ocean waves. My body stumbled away from the edge of the saltwater with a breath held back. "Are you done with your melodrama, little bird?" asked a man in a soft canticle tone that had rung through my ears like angels that spoke softly as he clung both of his arms on a rock, peacefully staring right at me with his green, shimmering eyes.