Chapter 8

I scurried my way over every window, helping each of the maidens close the window shut. "Where's mother, is she here?" I asked one of the ladies that fought with the strong wind of the violent storm. Another thunder shriek, the lightning emitting in front of my eyes with a gleaming glow.

"She's upstairs my lady, she hasn't left lady Graciella's chamber at all." one replied with a frown as she pushed her weight to the window to close it shut. I took a deep breath and glanced outside to see the blurred figure of sir Barron, struggling to keep up from the howling wind.

"Please help sir Barron outside and prepare the guest a nice chamber, I believe he had been washed from the ocean. Perhaps a nice bath would do as well," I explained briefly and took my leave, hearing the lady agree from behind.

With every step that I took up the stairs did my mother's grieving cry became louder. I felt my heart ache, feeling as though that it was my fault that this had happened to my dear sister. If only I could've chased her down faster would it be better. I slowly opened the door with my quivering hand, unfazed of the thought of my drenched figure.

"Mother, are you alright? They told me you haven't left Ella's room all day." I spoke softly, quietly tipping over towards her without a creak of the wooden floor. She sat down with her hand clenching on Ella's hand tightly with a quiet sob, her face tilted down with streaks of tears that followed.

"Your sister, (y/n). I can hear her pretty whispers." she said in a hush, but I heard her well as I felt myself back away. "Wh...what?" was the only words I could stutter out. She slowly tilts her head to the side, her dry lips coming to a curved smile. "She's telling me to go to the ocean, (y/n)," she chuckled and got up from her cushioned sit, letting go of Ella's hand.

"She's there, (y/n). I can hear her voice! We must save her before she drowns!"

I took a step forward to see her with open arms, creepily making her way out of the room. I shook my head and pushed her back with both of my arms on her hinged shoulders, "No, mother! Don't listen to it! It's a trap, please!" I plead, shaking her lightly as to snap her out of the preposterous thoughts.

Her eyes lingered around with her hands trying to push me away. She stared back at me with scorn as I loosened my grip, taking her chance and pushing me back with the back of her palm.

I stumbled beneath my drenched gown, stepping on the fabric as I fell on the ground. "Quiet, (y/n)! Your sister is in danger! I must save her before she drowns!" mother yelled with furrowed brows, her heels tapping on the floor like a stomp.

I caught the end of her dress and pulled her back with strength while getting up hastily on the floor. I wrapped both of my arms around her waist, tightening my grip as to not let her go. "Please, mother. Ella is fine, it's a trap. Please, listen to me." I weep, shedding a tear from my blurry sight while biting back a sobbing cry to appear firm.

She tightened her grip around my wrists and yanked me away. "Get away from me, (y/n)!" my mother snapped and turned around. I squeezed my palms tightly with a plastered frown, the humming air coming from the window with my mother's eyes filled with anger and distrust. I felt little and weak, feeling a sense of trepidation over her fiery that I never saw before.

She turned to her heels and slammed the door open, catching the front of her dress and going down the stairs while I followed behind her. "Sir Barron, please help!" I asked in desperation, pointing a finger to my mother who hurried to the front door.

He hesitated, perplexed over what was happening but nod his head in reply and caught her wrist. "What's going on, lady (y/n)?" sir Barron asked while I breath in for air. My mother struggled beneath his strong grasps while he softly spoke to my mother in comfort, but she was nowhere near from even listening as sir Barron's words only fell on deaf ears.

"She...my mother...I think she's going insane!" I darted my eyes around the room with many gaze set upon me from behind. "Graciella! She's out there, let me go! She's in danger!" my mother chanted the word danger once more.

The overwhelming feeling I felt to see both of whom I considered family had impotently made me hold in my tears as it dropped in droplets. My knees gave up on me with the loud sound of the violent thunder, "Please...stop it, mother." I mumbled under my shaky breath, pulling the ruffles of her dress.

The clocks tick in every second with the storm pouring it's heart out on the earthly floors with each struck emitting inside the manor walls. My mother's striking cries came to a halt with her body falling unconscious. Sir Barron caught her in a whim and looked down on me, still on my knees.

"Please take a rest, lady (y/n). I'll handle madam and the guest tonight." sir Barron assured me with a tap on my shoulder, heaving my mother's quiet form as he went up the stairs with my eyes lingering to follow.

One of the ladies came up to me quietly, taking my hand while I suspire. "Good...goodnight." I mumbled with my eyes glued on the floor, my footsteps swaying back to back as I took each step up the staircase and inside the safety of my bedroom walls.