Chapter 7

The silver bell rung with a chime after I pushed the door open, the floor creaked with a step of my shoe as I heave the basket of freshly baked pastries on the wooden counter. "Good morning, (y/n). Don't you look cranky!" he commented with a half-suppressed laugh, tapping the wooden counter with a tip of his finger as he leaned in with a sealed grin.

"Today isn't a good day to joke around, Jack. I'm far from being entertained with your puns and awfully dreaded jokes." I replied back while I tied the apron from behind my back with a knot.

I glanced up at the mirror that stood in front me while Jack shrugged both of his shoulders, "I'm just telling the truth, (y/n)! If you don't like it, why won't you just...chair up?" he winked, taking the piece of miniature chair on display at the counter.

I turned around with a groan and stomped my way forward, snatching the miniature away from his twiddling fingers and placed it back on the counter.

We stared at each other's eyes while I gazed with spite as he only looked with a mischievous grin, "I feel like I'm growing older the more I look at you, Jack." I muttered and looked away, taking the basket that sir Barron had given me to put on sale.

"Fine, I'm sorry," Jack waved a hand, rolling his eyes as he apologized with a sarcastic tone. He looked back at me while I busied myself taking each wrapped pastries off of the basket and into the containers, "Care to tell me what's on your mind, (y/n)?" he questioned, inching forward with a bend to reach my level.

I glanced back at him for a second, hesitant to tell. I turned away and sighed to myself deeply, standing back up straight and fixing my hair. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you." I mumbled in reply, but I knew he heard what I had said.

"I won't judge, I promise! If it's about me eating the bag of chocolate cookies, I'm sorry!" he bowed his head low with a frown with both hands clasped together as he confessed. "You ate the cookies? Jack, that was for our customer!" I replied back, the anger I felt relinquishing as it became to a chuckle.

He tilt his head slowly, looking at me with lifted brows and a puzzled look. "Why are you laughing, (y/n)? You know I feel bad that I ate it all! But old Barron made it too delicious to not munch on!" he shudder both of my shoulders with his hands.

I shook my head lightly and wiped the tears that had fell down from the sudden burst. "You're an idiot, Jack." I replied in jittery, pushing him back with a creeping smile on my face.

He crossed his arms and beamed with a faint blush on his face, "Hey, you're not upset now aren't you?" he asked, poking my shoulder while he disturbed me with my chores in the bakery. "Why don't you take a guess, Jack?" I turned to him with a forced smile and left the counter.

The day had went by smoothly, the customers went and go with their baked pastries with Jack flirting with some ladies with his awful jokes at hand. I felt like I was just babysitting a grown man rather than getting help inside the busy store.

Ever since my mother had died when I was younger, my father and I would often spend time inside the kitchen walls to learn how to bake. We wanted the shop to be open, just so we could have a piece of my mother alive. But ever since he had met my step-mother had he neglected his duty of keeping the bakery alive.

I disliked the idea of his marriage with my step-mother, but I knew I was impotent of that happening. But to see my father happy between her caressing arms did I finally accepted that idea.

"See you tomorrow, (y/n)!" said Jack, waving a hand at me as the thunder shriek from outside. He frowned and tilt his head to the side with my foot out of the door, "Are you sure you wouldn't me to take you home?" he asked with a hint of worry, "I'm fine, Jack. Don't worry about me." I beamed and stepped out of the door with my parasol at hand.

I clenched on it tightly and glanced back inside the bakery to see Jack yawning and going inside the back door to his bedroom. I sighed to myself and went, stepping out of the shades as droplets of loud rain drenched the pavement road.

It was a long way back, for the road back to the manor was blocked. I dragged my feet to the sand, the loud roar of the violent storm making me jump. I glanced up with my hands clenching tightly on my parasol to see the emitting lights of the manor, the sand fogged my view with my eyes inches from shutting.

Before I could step back on the stone pavement, my eyes lingered across the shore to see a blurred figure laying on the sand. "Hello! Are you alright?" I questioned in a yell but was muffled by the loud rain.

I went closer, the wind catching me as to pull me back. "Hello! Excuse me!" I yelled once again as I finally saw a body of a man laying from ashore. My mind seemed perplexed to even make out his face from the keening sight of the sand as my parasol got caught with the wind and blew out of my grasps.

I turned around to catch it but only to stop and looked back at the unconscious man. I bit down on my bottom lip and kneeled down, catching him by the arm and heaving him up with a tremble from his large frame.

My feet got buried even further in the sand while I dragged the fellow in a slow phase. When I finally reached the stone floor, I huffed and heard the muffled call of sir Barron.

I waved one hand with the other clenching on the man tightly, "Help! I found someone!" I shouted as sir Barron's figure came closer and took the fellow off of my back, "Please get inside, lady (y/n)!" he said and pushed me forward, I nod my head as I scurried my way inside.