Chapter 18

Kyriella roared orders after orders from behind the wheel, fighting dominance over the large droplets of rain while the other barbaric men stomped their way and heaved the flag. I looked at the corner and forcefully pushed my body to the side, wanting my shoulder to touch Jack in a way of reminding him that he was not alone.

He kept his lips sealed tightly, unfazed over his drenched hair and clothes. My eyes wandered around the humungous ship and back to the violent waves.

I struggled beneath the tight bounds while my mind fought over Merrik's call for me to the ocean. I will not die, I will not accept it! was what was in my thoughts.

"Jack! Jack! Help me out here, please! We can't die in this misery! I won't let it happen!" I cried, but saying those things lurched my stomach for my words were far from being definite. Jack let out a small, suspired chuckle as he looked at me with no sign of hope.

"What's the point, (y/n)? Do you want to die in the slow, drowning death of the waters or from those barbaric people's spears?" Jack asked with brows furrowed.

"You don't get it, Jack. There's more that lies from the water." I replied.

The wind suddenly blew in a ruckus with the waves coming to a violent crash against the bottom of the ship. My body leaned back on the pole while Jack's feet swept up from the sudden strength. Had he not been constrained from the wooden pole would he be sent to the siren below.

Another wave hits the ship, making most of the armed men lose momentum on their worn-out boots. "I can drown this ship and take you from the water, (y/n). Or you can come to me yourself," said he as a small whirl of water from a distance began to form.

"Come to me (y/n), and I'll show you how fun hell can be." Merrik stated, and just before I could even utter a word, the restriction from my lungs disappeared.

The sound of the rain became muffled as I felt wooden earplugs on both of my ears and one cold hand pressed firmly around my wrist. "Do not be fooled by that scum, it will only lead to your griming death." a woman with a gentle, yet firm tone of voice said.

She pulled both Jack and me into shelter inside the rusted door.

I stared at her, admiring her long, red hair and milky skin. She stared back with her piercing green eyes. She pats down on one of the green cushioned chairs, beckoning us to sit down.

Jack and I both exchanged looks but gave in after a long hour of standing. "I am Yereva, but call me Eva for short," she beamed and shook both of our hands, "And you must be new recruits?" Eva raised a brow while she rest her head on her knuckles.

"No, we're not recruits. We were abducted by your captain!" I replied with almost a yell but Eva seems to have just found it enjoyable to see, "Then I'm sure my darling Kyri has a reason for that."

"That's a rotten excuse, miss Leith." Jack stood up, breaking off the tension I felt towards Eva. We both looked at him with the same confused expression. Eva took a step forward, his boot making the wooden floor creak.

"I believe I haven't told you my surname. Do I know you?" Eva asked with a hint of despising and eyes that glare with full force, "I saw you from the papers. You're the runaway noble lady."