Chapter 15

"Wh...what?" I frowned, backing away with each thud of the sand beneath my palms. He stood up and pulled me forward, cinching his arms around my waist. "Let's live in the oceans, (y/n). We can be free there, with no mortals that could disturb us! Wouldn't that be wonderful?" he asked with enthusiasm, kissing the top of my hand with a squeeze.

I shook my head slowly, suddenly conflicted over his words. "I can't do that Merrik. My mother, Ella...they need me. Jack needs me," I answered softly, letting go of his hand while I stood away with a fist to my heart.

Merrik's lips unsealed, taking a stride back away from me. "Merrik?" I called his name as his expressions looked at lost while glancing down on the floor. He turned back to me with clenched fists, "I can make them disappear, (y/n). Then...we can go into the ocean," he smiled and held a hand out for me to grab.

I pushed my shoulders back while I held tightly on my wrist, feeling overwhelmed with the situation I had caught myself into. I furrowed my brows, the taste of his words feeling bitter beneath my tongue. "Take my hand, (y/n). And once we step into the shallow waters, everything you knew about mortality will be gone." he coaxed with one finger beckoning me forward.

I shook my head no for an answer and tightened my grip onto my skirt as a gush of violent wind came at blew. "No, Merrik. I told you, I don't wanna come with you." I replied back and took a step forward from the strength of the air.

Merrik's hand hesitantly went to his side as the wind came down to a halt. My eyes darted around with an ajar mouth, perplexed over what had happened. I turned away and broke down to my knees in fright, feeling Merrik's breath with eyes that penetrated with a stare.

He knelt down to my level and cupped my cheek, his expression seemingly lasting with an engraved scowl. It was more than a scowl, it was a terrorizing anger. My conflicted mind relinquished into fear, a fear for my life as if I was at the edge of a cliff.

I clenched on the sand tightly while Merrik stroke my cheek gently with his knuckles, but it was far from soothing. He stopped and lift my chin with my quivering lips, making me look back at him. "In a day will you run freely, (y/n). And in one of those days, your joy will wither. I will hunt you, and I will take you, (y/n). You are mine to be owned." Merrik tightened his grip as his sharp nails began to dug through my skin.

His eyes glowed from the dingy night with his brown hair leisurely turning ashy blue. He yanked me back with his hand turned to the waters, looking back at me at the corner of his eyes one last time.

In a blink did he disappear, it was as if he was never there. I crawled towards the ocean, but not close enough to be touched. My eyes wandered through the cerulean waters while I breath heavily from the suffocating stare from moments ago.

I looked and turned, but he was far from being near.