Darn, You Got Me

I wait for several minutes before it's safe for me to leave. Besides, I don't desire to be discovered at the scene when the police arrive.

When I walk out, I notice red blinking in a puddle. It's the same chip that Five cut out of his arm. Never mind that-- The Commission doesn't need it. Especially because I'm the one who is tracking him. Not some amateur gunmen who were hired by an unknown department. I'm quite the spectacle when it comes to just about anything.

I glance at my watch. 11:03 pm. I need to head to the library to perform more research on my target's background. If I can find his living situation, I'll locate him and his family.

I walk past a few apartment buildings but nothing really strikes me as a library. Only brick and fire escapes and brick and more fire escapes and a boy and more bri- what?

I freeze and revert my gaze to a familiar dark-haired teen in schoolboy shorts. Suddenly, a flash of blue lights up the side of the building, and I'm left gawking at nothing but an abandoned alleyway. My eyes grow wide at my discovery. And yet again, where is he keeping his damn briefcase? And how is it enabling him to travel merely a few minutes in time?

I look up to the sound of metal grating. There he is, standing on the fire escape attempting to break into an apartment. I mean, I'm assuming he's breaking into it considering he's using a window to enter.

I follow his steps and ascend the fire escape, being cautious of the creaky parts he walked on. I climb up to the second floor, and through the window, I spot Five sitting in a beige armchair. What is he doing? Perhaps he's plotting to kill the residents so he can occupy their apartment. Oh boy, this has been quite an exhilarating evening!

Abruptly, the front door swings open as a woman steps in, and I brace myself for the unavoidable fight. Five switches the lamp on as if he's in some kind of James Bond movie, and I immediately duck my head so the lady can't see me through the blinds. I hear muffled voices, but that's not reliable enough. Damnit. I dig through my pocket until I reach my Super Sensitive Listen Through-Wall Contact/Probe Microphone Amplifier. Or, as the Handler calls it, LTWPMA. Both are rather lengthy names, however, I'm not the one who dubbed them.

I insert my earbuds and place the stethoscope against the wall. Perfect.

"Is that blood?" The woman's voice sounds concerned.

Where is the fighting?

"It's nothing."

"Why are you here?"

Well, Miss, this boy fled The Commission and is now seeking to end the world. Oh wait- I mean save the world. Little does his arrogant ass know, you cannot change history.

"I've decided you're the only one I can trust."

Okay, I'm guessing they know each other. I arrived at precisely the right time, huh.

"Why me?"

"Because you're ordinary," There's a long pause. "Because you'll listen."

Interesting.

"Okay," says the woman.

I hear shuffling around from inside and I shift my position. My knife scrapes on the metal stairs. SHIT. How does that even happen when it's inside the holster?

Suddenly, I'm slammed against the wall by something- or someone. I groan. Jesus, why so rough?

"What are you doing here?!"

I look straight into Five's eyes as I think up a lie as to why I'm stalking him.

"Hm?" I'm trying to buy myself some time.