Drive Me Insane

The book and Smirnoff bottle fall from his hands as his face contorts into the epitome of disgust. "Why the fuck are you here?"

My luck is so bad that now Five's ghost is haunting me.

"If you're looking for an apology, you're not going to get it."

"Never said I was," I slur.

"Good."

"You look better dead than alive." It's not a lie. His hair is tousled, with strands falling in his face. While his tie hangs loosely around his neck and the top buttons of his shirt are undone. He looks...

I will not let myself finish that thought.

"Like what you see?" Five smirks.

My face grows hot, realizing he noticed my staring. "You wish. I would never be attracted to a dead person."

"Dead?"

"Yes. Well, you were dead; yet here you are."

His forehead wrinkles with worry. "I died?!"

"You died in the explosion."

Five's face darkens, but he quickly plasters on a nonchalant grin. "A simple explosion isn't enough to get rid of me." He swings his arm in the air. "I'm invincible."

"Anyone can be killed."

"But not this guy."

I stand up, although not before collapsing back onto the carpeted floor. Using the bookshelf to lift myself up, I stagger closer to poke his shoulder with my index finger. "Huh, it doesn't go through. You're– you're actually alive!"

"Of course I'm alive," he slurs.

"What a relief!"

"Oh? Missed me?"

My expression turns sour. "Not at all."

"No, you definitely missed me. I can tell."

Rolling my eyes, I reply, "You can't tell shit."

"Wanna bet?" He flumps where I sat before, and pulls me down with him. "If you didn't miss me, why are you drinking?"

I swallow hard. There's a long silence between us. My once-numb mind is reminded of all the feelings that lurk deep in my chest. "Do you think some children are simply born with tragedy in their blood?"

Five's eyebrows draw together at the sudden shift in conversation. "Uh... what do you mean?"

Hesitating, I say, "Like, it's inevitable for certain children to lead tragic lives. That... no matter what, they will always be in a negative situation. Even if things are slightly looking up for them, something will always ruin it."

He looks away and clenches his jaw. "Yes, I do think so."

"Why?"

He reaches for the bottle of Smirnoff and takes a few big gulps. "Because I am one of those children."

I wonder how long Five has been part of the Commission. "Where were you before–" FUCK. FUCK. FUCK. HOW COULD I ALMOST ASK THAT?!

He looks at me curiously. "Before what?"

I can't think of anything. My cloudy mind goes completely blank. "Nothing. Nevermind." There's an awkward silence, and I quickly babble about the first thing that comes to mind. "I wouldn't think of you to be one of those, um, children. You seem to have everything so together. With, you know, everything."

"I don't understand a thing you just said. Your words all meshed together."

Taking a sip out of his bottle, I slowly rephrase, "Why are you one of those children?"