Too Easy

I wake up and immediately ask the clerk for directions to the library.

Once I arrive, I begin using one of the computers to keyword search Five's name. I'm bombarded with a myriad of articles.

Sir Reginald Hargreeves Explains The Umbrella Academy

Five Hargreeves and Family

Five Hargreeves Explains His Powers

Five Hargreeves and What It's Like to Live With 5 Siblings

Five Hargreeves Missing

Five Hargreeves Disappearance and Time Travel

Ben Hargreeves Tragic Death and The Umbrella Academy's Response

Did Sir Reginald Hargreeves Ultimately Kill Ben Hargreeves?

Is Sir Reginald Hargreeves Suitable to Care For This Many Children?

Sir Reginald Hargreeves Response to Losing Yet Another Child

Whatever Happened to Five Hargreeves?

I suppose he and his family were some sort of celebrities. I mean, conjecturing by the number of articles that pop up by just searching his first and last name.

I read each and every one, taking notes in my brain about the important bits of information. I now know he has five other family members who didn't die, with an ape butler and robot mother. Interesting. The articles don't go into detail about how Ben Hargreeves passed, stating that Reginald Hargreeves is opposed to making it public information. 

I now adequately understand why Five doesn't need a briefcase. I believe this is the most shocking information yet. He and his family have powers. No wonder they're so famous! Five has the ability to spacial jump and time travel, which is why I never see him use one. And this leads to his supposed disappearance. They say that he time traveled and never returned back. Well, I know the reason why. The Handler must have noticed him traveling and immediately used the opportunity to recruit him to The Commission. Pretty smart.

I sigh and I glimpse at my watch. 8:30 am. I need to find my target again; and no more funny business. I switch off the computer and walk out the door, taking in the sunlight. I haven't done that in a long time. It's nice. My mood is instantly ruined when I notice a fat rat in the corner of my eye. 

Don't you just adore New York?

I stroll down the sidewalk, heading in the direction of my newly found Umbrella Academy building. They must love making my job too easy.

I stop in front of a tall black gate. How do I get in? I circle around the sides and spot a dumpster. I sigh and turn around, but something tells me to look inside. Just in case.

I veer back to the dumpster, walking closer. I stand over it and gag. It smells like an unwashed fridge and cow poop. I do my best to ignore the stench and peer inside, only to find a familiar maroon notebook laying on top of a heap of trash. That sure looks important. Almost as if... it's the identical one I spotted on Reginald's desk in one of his interviews! He wasn't keen on displaying it to the public. It appeared as though he attempted to cover it in the videotape I watched-- but of course, I still saw it.

I grab the notebook and smirk. R.H.  That unquestionably stands for Reginald Hargreeves. And this notebook is unquestionably valuable. Oh, what a shame it would be if it were lost. Thankfully, they have a kind-hearted girl-- me-- to return it to the rightful owners.

I stand back in front of the gate and search for someplace to knock. However, as if waiting for my arrival, a monstrous incel-looking man walks out the front door with a big sappy smile on his face. What is there to be happy about when it smells like absolute shit out here? 

Anyways.

"Um, excuse me?" I wave my hand up to grab his attention.

"Oh hi," he gives me a confused look.

"I found this notebook in your trash outside and was wondering if it belongs to anyone?" I smack on a hopeful grin.

He walks closer to me and stops when his chest touches the gate. Jesus Christ, he's humungous.

If I'm correct, this must be Luther. Based on the interviews with him, he is egotistical and feeds off of others kissing his ass. I suppose that's what arises when you're selected to be the "Number One." Whatever that implies.

"I've never seen it before... It must not be ours."

Um... last time I checked he's not the only one in the house...?

"Oh, so it couldn't belong to anyone you, um, live with?"

He shrugs. "You know now that I think about it... it does have my father's initials. It could be his," he says, scrunching his brows.

Yeah, no shit.

He opens the gate that was between us and reaches his hand out expectantly. "I'll give it to Pogo. Thank you," his already prominent beam grows wider.

Fuck, I did this to get inside. Not for a good deed. Not to make this enormous man happier than he should be.

I reluctantly hand him the notebook. "While I'm here, can I use your bathroom?"

"Uh, sure! Come on in." His hand gently pushes against my back, guiding me towards the front door.

Thank God. Again, this is too easy.

As soon as I walk inside, I'm instantly hit with the smell of wood. It's comforting. My eyes meet a large chandelier and a table in the middle of the spacious room. My gaze travels to the countless marble pillars used to support the structure of the house.

It's going to suck when this beauty is destroyed by the apocalypse.

____

I apologize for the short chapter, but I hope you liked it

don't be shy to leave me some feedback! :)