The Boy

I open my eyes to find myself outside a shop named Griddy's Doughnuts. I grin as I saunter through the door, rehearsing the plan in my head.

I take a seat at the counter next to a boy, who is speaking to a waitress.

"Can I get the kid a glass of milk or something?" she asks.

I read the letters ingrained into her pink button-front shirt. Agnes.

He scoffs. "The kid wants coffee. Black."

I raise my eyebrows simultaneously with Agnes.

"Cute kid," chuckles the waitress.

He stares at her, endeavoring an innocent smile. She fiddles with her notepad before turning to face me.

"And what would you like?"

I squint at the dusty menu above her.

"Do you have anything exotic?"

Agnes's mouth gapes open and the boy looks up from the table. I clear my throat and force a tight smile.

"I'll just have the same thing he's having."

The server nods and walks toward the coffee machine. I take the opportunity to examine the room, noting the dim lights and overall rundown appearance.

"Don't remember this place being such a shithole," sighs the boy. I smirk and the man glances at him. "I used to come here when I was little. Used to sneak out with my brothers and sisters and eat doughnuts till we puked." My train of thought stops and I swerve my gaze to view the boy completely, peering intently at the back of his head. "Simpler times, huh?" he continues.

"Uh... I suppose." The man has a look of bewilderment on his face.

The boy turns to the right to look at me, and my mouth contorts into a deep frown. He scans me up and down as Agnes places our beverages on the counter.

"I got theirs," says the man.

"Oh, it's alright, thank you." I pull out a wad of cash from my pocket, sensing the lingering eyes of the boy. I hand Agnes the money and smile. "This should be enough for all of us. Keep the change."

"Wow um... thank you," gawks the old man.

I nod at him.

"Thanks." The boy looks at me quizzically as he sips his coffee. I capture a good look at his profile and compare the features to what I remember the photograph described my target as.

- 16 

- Male

- Brunette

- Blue Eyes

- About 6 foot

It's him.

"You must know your way around the city," says Five.

"I hope so. I've been driving it for 20 years," replies the man.

"Good. I need an address."

I perk up, listening inconspicuously. Five asks for an address to a shopping center and writes down the given location on a napkin. I slowly sip my coffee as I watch the man get up to leave.

"So...." I begin, observing him pick up his coffee cup with two hands. I know that trick-- fuck that's taken straight from the books. He really is a paranoid person if he's trying to keep his dominant hand unknown. "Why do you need that add-" I'm cut off by the sound of the door creaking open. We both instinctively look at the bell in front of us to use as a mirror, making eye contact in the reflection.