'Tis I

"Bathroom is this way," he leads me down a narrow hallway.

I take this chance to ask as many questions as possible. "Who else lives here besides Pogo and your father?"

He tenses up slightly and I take notice. "Um... Grace... and some of my siblings are here temporarily."

Five? "That's cool... why temporary?"

"It's a... it's a long story," he looks over to me and I nod understandingly.

Why is he so hesitant? I cant push further-- he's obviously suspecting something.

We arrive just outside a wooden door where a large restroom resides. Thank God. This cumbersome interaction is growing unbearable.

A breeze hits me as goosebumps cover my arms, and my eyes shoot to an open window above the toilet. There's no shower or tub, which is expected since we're still on the first floor. It stinks like dove soap and it's cold, but I don't mind. My intentions aren't to use the toilet, but instead spy on my target's home.

The man proceeds to stand behind me as I take in the room. Jesus, what is he doing? I turn around and give my thanks before shutting the door. I hear him clear his throat as he stomps away, most likely inadvertently. 

I don't know what protein shakes he's buying, but I'm pretty sure it's an illegal brand.

I press my ear against the door, listening for any sounds. None. I slowly turn the knob and walk out the bathroom, my hands prepared to swiftly seize my knife in case of anything. I hear muffled voices in the room to the right of me and I freeze. Shit. I immediately duck behind a wall, beside the entrance of the room.

"...all these good times. Well, not so much good times. Really awful, terrible, depressing times," a man says.

Huh?

"The contents of that box are... priceless," replies an older voice. "Were they to find their way back to the office, whoever took it would be absolved of any blame or consequences."

What box?

"Oh, well, lucky bastard."

I'm assuming the man without the accent stole it.

The older voice clicks his tongue. "Indeed."

There's a long pause before I hear footsteps fade away. I don't dare move. Even one creak could give away my presence.

"Oh, shut up!"

Oh, shit there's someone else in the room.

He stops speaking for a moment and then says, "I'll find it, stop fretting. Why is Pogo being so pushy about it anyway?" He sounds irritated.

Pogo. Luther mentioned him. And who is this guy talking to? 

"No, I think it was just some notebook and papers..."

I stop listening. Oh my god, that notebook. I recall what Pogo told the man. 'The contents of that box are priceless.' Did I seriously just help them? Well, lucky bastards.

I wander to different sections of the house, exhausted from hearing him ramble nonsense to himself. That guy is a full-blown nut case.

After giving myself a grand tour of the first floor, I ascend the stairs. Just as I reach the top, Luther spots me from across the hall. Where did he come from?

"What are you still doing in here? You weren't in the bathroom when I went downstairs," he clenches his jaw.

"I got lost," I say calmly. "I'm sorry."