All a Game

A metal clanking stems from the wall, and I cram the book into my inner jacket pocket. Crawling to where the sound came from, I pick up the copper tube with my name labeled. Inside, a small paper reads,

West 51st Street. Betwixt Building Numbers 3 & 4. 10:30 a.m.

I bite my cheeks, my thoughts swirling. Hurriedly, I fold the paper before stuffing it into the same pocket as the book. The tube gets kicked underneath one of the bins, and I impassively continue rummaging through the duffle bag.

Just in time, Diego forces the door open. "Find anything?" he asks.

I sigh, "Nope, nothing." I check my watch– 9:42 a.m. "I don't have time for this. There are no clues here. We're only wasting time. I need to find him soon--"

Luther interrupts my rambling. "--Why do you need to find him so bad?"

"Why does it matter? I just need to find him is all," I sputter.

They don't reply. I hop out of the trunk, preparing to leave for my rendezvous. 

"Uh, where do you think you're going? You can't leave after I worked to open those doors!" Diego calls after me.

⧖⧖⧖

"Hello, Mallory."

I jam my hands in my pockets. "Nice to see you."

"I trust your mission is running smoothly?"

If you don't count me butchering my stories and allowing him to be royally suspicious of me, then yes! "Yup, as always."

The Handler nods. "Excellent. So what have you uncovered regarding Agent Hargeeves' plan?"

I swallow hard. The only thing that comes to mind is that damn eye. Maybe a mannequin? Prosthetics place is a big one. Maybe the purchase of the eye initiates a butterfly effect that leads to the end of the world. My thoughts race and pieces of the puzzle rearrange until my response could satisfy my boss. "Well... he has been in the possession of a prosthetic eye. He seems very keen on spending all of his time and attention on it."

"An eye?"

"Yes, Miss."

She purses her lips in thought. "What else do you know about the eye? How long has he had it in his possession?"

"Since at least the second day I've been here. However, most likely before that." I bite my cheek, ridiculing myself for not thinking of finding out that piece of information. That's so essential, and I forgot to question him on it.

"Most likely? So you're basing this on assumptions? You know that's not how we run things here."

"I am aware. I didn't have the cha-"

"I've given you plenty of time to figure it out. Is this the only thing you have learned? That eye?"

A familiar metallic taste engulfs my senses as I bite my cheek with more force. "Yes, Miss."

The Handler scoffs.

This is going worse than I thought. I change the subject. "I actually have an inquiry."

"And what might that be?" She raises an eyebrow.

"Um, well I ran into Hazel and Cha Cha yesterday." I stare at the Handler, trying to decipher any micro-expressions. None. "And we're just a bit confused about our mission assignments."

She lifts her hand loosely and checks her nails. "Why?"

"They contradict one another."

There's a long pause. The Handler stares at me emotionless. My eyes flicker to the exit of the alleyway and back to her.

"In what way?" she finally asks.

"For one, they are assigned to kill him; and I am assigned to gather information and then turn him in."

"Ah, yes of course. Honest mistake on our part."

I look at her in disbelief. "Mistake?"

"Indeed."

I gain back my confidence and look her straight in the eyes. "You know that's not how we run things here."

The Handler smirks. "Using my own words against me, Mallory?"

I don't reply.

"Everything happens for a reason." She walks away with a slow gait, and my mouth falls open.

"So you're not gonna fix it?!" My hand reaches to grab her shoulder and she whirls around and grips it tightly, stopping me in my tracks.

"How dare you question me. Who do you think you are?" she spits.

"I think that I along with the other agents will run into a problem with our mission! One of us will fail. You're setting us up for failure!" I jerk my hand back.

An unkind smile slowly spreads across her face. "So what if I am?"

I take a step back. "Is this all a game to you?"

"Complete your mission before Cha Cha and Hazel, and you will receive more than a raise."

So this is all just a game. "And if I fail...?"

"Then say hello to Mr. D for me."

My heart races, and suddenly the earth is spinning. I keep silent, as images of my past becoming my future flash through my mind.

I force a watery smile into place. "Yes, Miss," I say, my voice thick.

"Good!" the Handler says with an optimistic tone. The entire mood shifts and she brushes out imaginary wrinkles in her green dress. "Glad that's all figured out." She picks up her briefcase. "I'll be checking in again in a few days. Remember, time is scarce." The Handler gives a knowing look before light encircles her.

She disappears, leaving me alone in the grim alleyway.

____

who is mr. d?🤔🤔🤔
omg omg omg i'm so sorry it's taken months to update i've had bad writers block ik i keep saying that i go through phases idk it's weird and school obviously started so i've been super stressed and lwky depressed and literally go to sleep as soon as i get home so i have absolutely zero free time but it's okay we're good it's all good over here 😃😃
we ❤️ junior year !
also i was gonna have drunk five in this chapter but i decided to just make the meeting with the handler it's own chapter :)
also wow 4k reads thats crazy guys thank you so much i really appreciate your comments and votes you're all so sweet