Chapitre Trois

One evening, he questioned me through texting: "Have you ever read 'The Little Prince', the novel by Saint Exupéry?"

"No, I haven't!"

 I replied immediately. To be honest, I was not very interested in literature. I just liked playing basketball.

"It's my favorite book. A pilot who crashed his airplane in the Sahara desert met the Little Prince. The Little Prince came from a lonely asteroid in the middle of the vast universe. There, baobab seeds were waiting to sprout to break the whole planet with their roots. There, there was a proud rosebud that the Little Prince loved day and night... "

"Sounds like fairy tales combined with fiction!" - I sent a smiley emoji.

"Read it and you'll feel how good it is. I'll give you one."

Day by day, texting Mer had become a habit of mine. Whenever I didn't see Mer at school or online, I missed him again. There was a fact that the online Mer and the real-life Mer seemed to be two opposite people. The more reserved Mer was in real life, the more open he was when texting. I once joked, "Why are you so active when you text?" Mer just smiled sadly and replied, "Do I get a chance to talk in real life?"

His sharings made my heart hurt and shrunk painfully. A person who wasn't mute but had no chance to speak? It's because every time he spoke, people judged him as a freak and disgusting creature. Although he had reached puberty a long time ago, his voice was not as low as other normal boys. On the contrary, Mer's tone was as high as that of a girl. People sentenced him through his voice before understanding who he was. Mer was afraid of his voice and told me that he had scratched his throat until it bled once.

"Why didn't he love himself? Even I felt sorry for him! Every time I thought about Mer, I felt like my mind was weighed, I was deep in contemplation and my thoughts became much vaguer. Did anyone know what that angel had had to suffer through all this time? Life was too grim and harsh for him..."

"You are out of your mind!" I typed hard on the keyboard as if wanting to scream, "Why did you do such a ridiculous thing?"

"Other boys tend to consider their voices as obvious properties' however, it's a great privilege for me... Why didn't God give me such a normal thing?" Mer typed a very long message as if he were telling about all of his feelings.

"Think about the blind and the deaf! Can they have what other people consider normal? But they still have the energy to live!" I thought over carefully before replying to Mer.

"Society sympathizes with their flaws, but who would do the same for me?"

"Who would sympathize with him? Was it everyone's alienation towards him, or was it his fear of others when they heard his voice? What pushed him into hiding in the shell his soul had created? Throughout his middle and high school years, Mer hadn't had any close friends. Loneliness had become the only invisible mate that stuck with him."