Chapitre Sept

I didn't know what Mer's decision was because I hadn't seen him both at school and on the Internet since that day. Every time I texted him, he just answered roughly that he was busy. Unexpectedly, however, one afternoon after school, he waited for me at the school gate and asked me if I was free enough to come to cheer for his presentation at the contest the next morning.

"Yes, I'm free! I'll be there as soon as possible!" I nodded rapidly, my face was filled with joy and excitement, my mouth beamed cheerfully, and my eyes showed my pride for that boy. I completely forgot the basketball session along with the P.E. teacher's scolding that I would hear whenever I missed it.

"Mer is too important to me, I can't leave him alone," I told myself.

 He smiled at me. It was the brightest smile I had ever seen. I suddenly felt like my heart was softened, and the pain of the past days melted in his gaze: His eyes sparkled with joy and seemed different from the cold ones when we first met. And I unintentionally realized that just seeing this boy's face filled with happiness was enough for me...

----------------

 The next morning, I sat next to him in the Bureau of Education's hall, which was crowded with students and teachers, and waited for his turn. Mer seemed worried and anxious. He kept looking around from second to second, then he looked down at his paper and mumbled the words he had prepared. Seeing his trembling hands, which were wet with sweat, made me just want to hold them to reassure him. But I couldn't. Finally, when it was Mer's turn, he stood up startlingly. I could only pat him on the shoulder to encourage him before he stepped onto the stage.

 I didn't take my eyes off him right from the beginning of his presentation and just hoped he would feel less nervous if he saw my gaze. At the moment his voice was heard, the whole hall started whispering a discussion. Mer seemed confused at first, but he calmly continued. Perhaps he had been mentally prepared before. His pure, lilting, and inspiring voice seemed to have gradually captured the audience's attention. But I could still hear nonstop giggles somewhere.

 Mer finished his speech successfully. I clapped my hands as loudly and smiled as brightly as possible when he walked down from the stage, totally overwhelming everyone around. Just ignore them! As long as Mer was happy, I could do anything to cheer him up!

 The boy shyly received applause and winked at me. At that moment, my heart skipped a beat and my face suddenly turned red. Fortunately, the stage light covered me. If Mer had seen that expression, he would have guffawed for sure.

 If Mer had seen that expression, he would have guffawed for sure