Chapitre Six

That whole afternoon, I carried him on my bike along the street and listened to him talking about the girl he had secretly loved for three years. She was a classmate in his middle school, and now she's also studying literature at another high school.

"Manon is very gentle and feminine."

"Her hair is long and very smooth, brother!"

Every single word of Mer was like flowing through my ears, and I could only nod to make no unusualness. He talked to me as if he had never been allowed to do so, telling me about his hidden love for a long time that he hadn't dared to confess. Whenever he read the story of The Little Prince, Mer found himself in that guy: Although he traveled to many planets in the vast universe, he would never forget the image of the rosebud that he loved so much.

"Do you know what the Little Prince told the pilot when they first met in the desert?" Mer quoted a sentence in the book, "If someone loves a flower, of which just one single blossom grows, in all the millions of stars, it is enough to make him happy just to look at the stars."

Until the sun had already gone down, I brought Mer back to his home. Arriving at the front door, he told me to wait a moment, ran inside, then took out a book, and gave it to me. It's 'The Little Prince'.

"I promised to give you this book!" He looked at me, but I tried to avoid his eye contact.

I thanked him, then put the book in my bag without any intention of reading a single page. It only saddened me because it reminded me of him.

A few more days passed...

"I was selected to participate in the city-level literature presentation competition!" Mer texted me very late one night, "But I will probably refuse to do so..."

"Are you afraid that everyone can hear your voice?" I replied very quickly, "It's time you learned how to face yourself. If you hate yourself, no one can love you."