Chapitre Neuf

I took him home. On the way back home, no matter what I asked, he remained silent. He put his head on my shoulder, and sometimes he trembled like getting all choked up. I could feel his inside heartache, which was choking up, through each of the shivers on my shoulder.

 "Please stop, Mer. I will cry. Don't be sad. People don't love you, but I do," those thoughts unintentionally reappeared in my head, lingering in my mind.

 I was just trying to say meaningless solace, even though I knew it would be impossible to heal the grievous wound of his heart. He could stay calm when the world laughed at him, but he completely fell apart when he heard that familiar ridicule from the person he loved with all of his heart.

 "You're so silly, bae. You deserve better affection," my heart rippled every time I heard this boy snuffling. If possible, it doesn't need to be me. As long as you are happy, just love anyone you want.

 His house was quiet with nobody, so maybe his parents had already gone to work. I brought Mer to his room, held his thin shoulders, and lifted his head. With anger coming out of nowhere, I said as if shouting: "Look at me! That girl doesn't deserve so much love from you, understand? She is just a shallow child! Forget her!"

"Just shut up!" Mer suddenly yelled, "Don't talk like that about Manon! How much do you know about her? Huh?"

 That angry tone... I was stunned, the hand holding his shoulder dropped weakly, leaving my arms unresponsive there. He had never spoken so harshly to me like that. Just because of another girl? What was I feeling? Jealous? Sad? Angry? Did I have any allowances to have such moods? He had never loved me...

"I'm... I'm sorry!" The silence in the room ended as Mer suddenly covered his face with both hands, and his tears spurted out like a stream, like a river, and even like a sea.

 His body shivered every time he sobbed. That image made me extremely worried and depressed. Ignoring my mind, I hugged him very tightly. Selfish? Stupid? Exploitative? Foolish? Anyway, I accepted them all. Just swear at me, get angry to make yourself feel better, or hit me if you wanted. As long as you were not sad, I could do anything for you!

 However, what happened right after that was the opposite of what I had expected. Well, it was not completely different at all. I had been expecting this action from Mer for a long time, but something was wrong with him. Was it coercion or pity? Was it empathy or just temporary relief? I didn't know for sure, but it would be a lie if I said that I was just frustrated and unhappy at that moment. Yes, that action from Mer made me on cloud nine and filled me with happiness, but my mind still stopped me, pulling me back to reality: "Remember, that action of his has something abnormal!"

Wanna know what Mer had done?