Chapitre Huit

On the way back home, there were many curious gazes and pointing fingers at him while we were taking my bike from the parking lot. He kept calm, showed no worry, and climbed onto my bicycle's carrier. But when we went through the gate, we saw a group of girls chatting outside. There's nothing worth mentioning except a perhaps familiar voice to Mer being heard. It made him suddenly freeze, and his hands gripped the hem of my shirt. Surprised by the pullback, I turned back and saw Mer's stunned gaze, trembling lips, and twitching ears. He reacted like that because his inside feelings became more uncontrollable after each of the girls' next words.

 "What's the matter with you? Please tell me," I silently wished and only hoped Mer could fulfill my desire. Did that voice have... something special?

"Mer was pédé for sure! I still can't believe that there were rumors that he liked me when we studied at the same middle school. If we go together, people will properly call us sisters!"

 The one who said that was a little girl with long, shoulder-length hair. All of the girls laughed out loud. Mer looked at that little girl with his miserable, bewildered, and slightly teary eyes. They were like crystals waiting to drop out. As soon as he was alone, they would surely spurt out like a river. No, they would properly be salty and bitter like the sea full of frustrating waves of an unfair life. It's just like his name, Mer...

 A gripping force directly transmitted to me: His hands were grasping my hips so tightly that I winced as if to scream.

"Hurry up, bro... Hurry up..." Mer said with a crumbling voice as if he wanted to cry, and his sad eyes became even more dispirited. I looked at that girl in amazement: She was very similar to what Mer had described as his secret crush, who was also studying Literature at another school, and she had just participated in the contest for literature-specialized students. Could it be...

 The worst thing that could happen to Mer happened. He could face the whole world that was always gossiping out there, but he had never mentally prepared for this situation: The person he thought about every night was making fun of him and defaming him with the weaknesses he had always tried to hide for many years. It was just too much for this boy to bear!

 It was just too much for this boy to bear!