8. you care

A/n; I was listening to that song when writing, thought it fit in quite well with the scenery.

S1,E8

"really Sol?" Mason chuckled, as they stood in front of a park "Mhm, come on" she grabbed his arm and dragged him up the hill, Mason followed suit while holding the picnic basket in in his left hand.

They sat down on the top of the hill, Solange had unfolded a blanket and placed it on the spring-grass. He placed the basket next to them and took out whatever she had packed.

"oh my god" he mumbled and took the sand-which out of the box. He bit into it and the memories of his childhood rushed in "I used to steal these from you on the field-trips" he laughed.

"I know" she rolled her eyes and bit into the croissant she had packed.

"This was nice" he stated. The sun was setting on the horizon, casting a gold hue on the world in front of them. He glanced at Solange, her skin looked golden and for the first time in weeks he actually got a good look at her.

"Did Mariah reach out to you? Must've seen the headlines by now"

He cleared his throat "She messaged me this morning, haven't answered yet. Trying to make her wait, you know?"

She had changed a-lot over the years. The curly hair wasn't straightened anymore, she let it grow out. The braces in different colours were off, she had her own style now and Mason could tell that she had found herself.

"You know what I find odd?" she turned to face him but was surprised when he already had his eyes set on her. Mason raised his eyebrows, for her to continue "That after all these years, you still feel like Portsmouth"

He furrowed his eyebrows at her, how could a person feel like a place?

"I mean, whenever we hang out.. it feels like we're fourteen again; back in Portsmouth, remember when Luca would make you walk me home late at night because you lived nearest me" She smiled widely, referring to all the times Mason walked her homer after they had been at their mutual friend's house.

They would walk side by side, his hands shoved deep into the pockets of his pants, her arms wrapped her own stomach while they kicked rocks on the way back to their neighbourhood, usually bickering over the slightest things or walking in a comforting silence. They would stop at her house, bid a short 'goodbye' and Mason would hurry home before the sun disappeared from the sky completely.

"Yeah" he said, although it came out in a short whisper. They locked eyes and Mason felt his heart skip a beat. She chuckled and went back to staring at the sun set.

The two friends sat for a while, joking and talking about everything and nothing at the same time until they decided to head to the party, organised by his teammate Tammy and his girlfriend Leah.

Entering the massive house, Solange suddenly felt unconscious of her own skin. Mason noticed the girl wrapping her arms around her waist, something he knew she did whenever she felt awkward or uncertain.

"Let me introduce you to some people" Mason rested an arm around her shoulders, brining her closer to his side. Solange nodded and he led her to the living room where Tammy and a few others sat.

To be honest, he only brought her because a) to introduce her to his teammates and b) because Mariah would be there somewhere, watching them.

Solange recognised a few of them. But she was mortified when she turned to the side and caught sight of Mariah-Mason's ex.

Now was really the time to start acting like a couple.

"Everyone, this is Solange, my girlfriend"

Everybody in the room sent her a smile and Solange sent them one back.

Mason was talking to Billy a while later, but his heart dropped when he turned to Solange only to find Timo there instead. He glanced around the room, she was nowhere to be seen.

Entering the kitchen he found her, a vodka bottle in hand, a drunken look on her face as she sang along to the music blasting from the living-room. He chuckled at her, she motioned for him to join her, although it was tempting he realised that she had downed the whole bottle.

"She's over there" she pointed over his shoulder, back to the living room where his ex was.

"I know" he replied, she had kept her eyes on him the whole evening, just as expected.

Solange had felt sick to her stomach when she saw Mariah and her friends, exchanging glanced and giggling while they looked at her. She couldn't handle it so she went and poured herself a glass.

"Let's get you home Sol" he grabbed her hands. She slightly pouted her lips at him "so you don't want the last drop?" she asked, still gripping the bottle tightly.

Mason shook his head. His heart softened at the look of her, she looked exhausted even tough she claimed to be living her best life.

"Let's go before something bad happens to you" he stated and helped her down from the kitchen counter.

"Aww, you care about me" she joked.

"of course I do"

iceegirll productions