[18]

Emma loved the weekends. She especially loved the weekends when she was alone at home. It wasn't that she didn't love having her mother around. However, as of late, things were becoming somewhat uncomfortable. Not because they'd been acting differently, but all the things that Emma had become aware of since coming to Mystic Falls, the things her mother tried hiding from her made Emma feel odd.

She wanted to ask her mother about all of it. She wanted to tell her what she knew and ask for more information on what happened to her dad. Perhaps her mum did know, since she knew about what he was doing throughout that year. However, at the same time, Emma didn't know how smart that would be. It wouldn't surprise her if Marissa decided to simply pack up their bags again and abandon Mystic Falls at the speed of light.

"And that would be bad, why? Because she'd pull you away from the chaos of this town? Terrible indeed." Emma muttered to herself as she moved around the kitchen. Grabbing a glass of water, she proceeded to shuffle through one of the cupboards until she found the appropriate bottle of meds for the morning.

"Why would someone ever want to move out of this place? Missing out on the opportunity to be drained by a vampire? Slashed by a werewolf? Never pass something like that up." Emma continued to ramble to herself. Alright, maybe she also liked to be alone at home because she could sound like a complete lunatic without anyone questioning it.

Moving around the house, Emma went off into the living room, wanting to turn on the TV for some background noise. However, as she moved by one of the windows, something outside caught her eye. She wasn't even sure why, but it was just a gut feeling once she spotted the unfamiliar car parked right across the street. She knew it didn't belong to one of her neighbors, and the sight of the man in the front seat, turned right towards her house was... unsettling.

Of course, one person capable of paranoid spying and stalking instantly came into Emma's mind. Grabbing the phone which had been charging on the kitchen counter, Emma searched through it for a second before finding the number she needed.

"Come on, you're not that busy not to answer a call." Emma grumbled as the phone continued to ring with no reply. However, she did know that Klaus didn't really wait with his mayhem and chaos. Who knew what kind he may have been causing in that moment? Luckily, just as Emma was about to give up, Klaus picked up his phone. "I know you're a busy man, and so I won't keep you long, but I just have one question for you. Why is someone stalking me?"

Emma knew that Klaus' trust, or whatever their dynamic could be called, was never a permanent thing. What she also knew was that she hadn't actually done anything to warrant a lack of it. Since that night of schmoozing with the founders, Emma hadn't really heard from the hybrid who was too busy plotting against Stefan since the newest defeat. However, there was no one else out there but some among the town's supernatural who'd have reason to spy on her. If anyone would know the reason, something told Emma Klaus would.

"I'm afraid Klaus is a bit busy right now and can't come to the phone."

Emma was surprised to hear the unfamiliar voice on the other end of the line. For a moment, she pulled the phone away from her ear, just to check whether she'd dialed the right number. Although if she hadn't, whoever had answered would probably be telling her that instead of 'Klaus is busy'.

"And what is it that he's busy with? Who is this?" Emma asked warily once she was sure she didn't make a mistake. She knew Klaus' hybrids had been run out of town by Stefan for the time being, and Klaus wasn't the type to let just anyone answer his phone. Whatever was going on couldn't be good.

"Brotherly bonding." The reply was simple and then the line went dead. All Emma was left with was staring at the phone, both surprised and confused at the same time. Was someone messing with her? Klaus' brothers were daggered and hidden by Elena and co. so how the hell would the Mikaelson be busy with brotherly bonding?

"With that family, I wouldn't be surprised if another one came out of hiding after a thousand years." Emma mumbled to herself, deciding to call Klaus again sometime later. God knows there was time considering whatever trouble he might be in, it couldn't kill him.

She had her own problems to deal with. Most notably the man who remained sitting in the car outside. By now it had become more than obvious that he was watching the house. And so, she did what any other sane person would do. She poured some hot water into a take-away cup, plopped a tea bag into it and walked out of the house into the street. Confident steps carried her across to the other side before she knocked on the window of the car.

She watched the surprise with which the man inside rolled the window down, definitely not expecting that her little excursion outside would lead her right to him. "Good morning, I thought you might get a bit parched out here, so I made you some tea. We're not really a coffee house, so sorry if that's what you prefer." Emma sent a sickly-sweet smile towards the man, one that clearly wasn't genuine.

"Uh... Thanks." The man mumbled, bushing some of the dark hair out of his eyes as he hesitantly took the cup from her hands. Emma watched as he evaluated it curiously, hoping he'd take a sip. It would be enough.

Of course, knowing the town she lived in, Emma couldn't resist but put a couple of drops of vervain into the cup. If he drank it in front of her at least she'd know what she was dealing with. If it was a vampire or hybrid they'd be unable to hide the reaction, and if there wasn't one... Well, it could still be a werewolf, but considering it wasn't a full moon, she'd probably be alright for a little longer.

"Oh do go on, it's my favourite. You'll like it." She urged the man, noting just how completely confused he seemed. Almost as if he didn't even know why he was there in the first place, actually.

"I should get going. I, uh, have somewhere to be." He suddenly announced, staring to move around. So Emma had to do the next best thing.

"Well, if you don't want it, I'll just take it off your hands." Emma said, reaching back for the cup. "Wouldn't want it to... spill." She paused just as her plan worked, because while her words said one thing her extreme 'clumsiness' worked on another. Some of the liquid from the cup spilled all over the man's hand, and Emma watched as nothing happened. "So sorry, I wasn't-"

She started to act highly apologetic, but she couldn't even get it all out before the man dumped the cup onto the street and drove off, certainly much faster than the speed limit. She watched him go, memorizing the plates of the car before he disappeared around a corner. Never to be seen again, she hoped.

"If it wasn't clear that he had no manners this confirms it. Has no one taught him not to litter?" She questioned with a shake of her head, picking up the cup before she turned back to the house and returned inside, ready to enjoy the rest of her free day. Hopefully, nothing else too dramatic would happen and she'd be kept out of the town's messes of the day. Hopefully...

-----

Just to clarify, since I couldn't really find a way to incorporate Emma into episode 12 we've skipped ahead and are currently covering episode 13 (vaguely, since she doesn't really belong much into that one either).