[78]

On that particular day, nearly a month into their stay in Brazil, Emma found herself lying in bed even though it was noon, nursing a headache that made her want to do nothing but sleep. Even though she wasn't actually tired. With a small groan, she swung her legs over the side of the bed, deciding it was time to go into the kitchen in search of the painkillers she'd stored away in one of the cabinets.

As she moved through the halls, it wasn't long before she overheard voices talking in the living room. Knowing Kol was out feeding, Emma didn't have to bother too much with guessing to know it was Elijah and Katherine.

"Klaus wants it. If you get it, you can use it to buy your freedom." Emma overheard Elijah's voice as she came closer to the living room, but the proximity also meant the end to the ongoing conversation as the two vampires became aware of her presence, forcing them to quiet down.

Emma didn't bother trying to solve the puzzles of whatever they'd been talking about or hiding. Instead, she bee-lined for the kitchen. "Sorry for the interruption, I'll be out of your hairs in a second." She sent the two a small smile, hoping to make it clear it wasn't her intention to snoop or poke her nose into their business.

"You look like hell." Katherine was the first to speak, easily noticing Emma's sickly appearance. Although the word choices she used probably weren't the best judging from the glare she received in response.

"You really do know how to flatter a woman, Kat." Emma shook her head at the brunette. Clearing her throat with a light cough, she pulled out the small bag where she kept all of her medicine, fishing through it in search of the pain killers she needed.

It wasn't long into their stay in Brazil that Emma realized she couldn't rely on the house having any kind of medicine or medical supplies. After all, vampires had no need for them so she made sure to keep up her own stash. Which is why she was sure the small bottle would be in there. And, was proven right on that once she finally managed to pull it out.

"Are you feeling unwell?" It was Elijah who took a politer approach as he and Katherine shared a somewhat concerned look between themselves once another cough pushed its way past Emma's lips, as soft as before, but enough to make them think twice about it.

"Just a headache, nothing to worry about." Emma said in a reassuring tone, restraining herself from cursing at the bottle which was protected as if it was housing Alcatraz prisoners. Eighteen years old and child protections were still the bane of her existence.

"Here." Emma hadn't even noticed Elijah walking over until he was taking the bottle from her hands and opening it for her.

"Maybe the faster solution would be some blood?" Katherine suggested as she listened to Emma let out another string of coughs. Leaning her elbows on the surface of the island, she watched as Emma nodded her head, starting to think the Pierce might have a good point.

"Yeah, you're probably-" Emma started to say the offer might be a better idea, however, another fit of coughs cut her off. Emma started to dig through her pockets, only to find them empty.

Luckily, Katherine had an easy time guessing what Emma was looking for, and in the blink of an eye she was gone and back again, having ran to Emma and Kol's bedroom where she assumed the inhaler had fallen out of Emma's pocket.

A mere heartbeat passed before she was by Emma's side, taking a moment to shake the inhaler before pushing it into her hands and allowing Emma to bring it to her lips. With a puff from the device, Emma's breaths stopped sounding more like wheezes and returned to normal, making both her and the vampire by her side let out a small breath of relief.

But not long after something else was being pushed her way. "Drink." Elijah's tone left no room for protest, not that Emma was planning on it anyways as she took the glass of blood from his hands. He remained close by her side as Emma let out another short cough before downing the liquid.