[43]

Sometimes, Emma wished her mother wasn't such a hard working woman. She remembered a friend she'd met during her time in Portland and how her mum would sometimes call in sick to work, say her kids were sick too and then take them on a one day adventure. Emma had suggested something similar to her mother at the time. It was the first and last time she brought up calling in sick when no one actually was.

So, of course, she didn't bring it up today either. Rebekah's arrival had served as an excuse for her mother to weasel her way out of a further conversation with Emma as she had to start getting ready and head to work for the afternoon shift she had that day.

Because of that, instead of getting more explanations and answers and learning about herself, Emma was left home alone to worry about what she was, what was happening with Alaric, where her friends were and a whole lot of other issues.

Rebekah's visit had been short. She'd come to explain what happened while she and Caroline were cleaning up the remnants of last night's dance when Alaric showed up, determined to kill Rebekah. The Originals were running into hiding again. Rebekah promised it wouldn't be long, but with Alaric having the white oak stake in his possession they needed to go until they could come up with a plan.

Emma hated saying goodbye to her friend, especially as she didn't know how long she'd stay away, but it was the right thing. And Rebekah had promised she'd be back before Emma could imagine. But the promise didn't sound very convincing, Rebekah obviously not believing in much of it herself.

According to the Mikaelson sister, all three of them were leaving. She herself was already on her way out of the small town, simply making a stop at Emma's since she didn't want to just abandon her without an explanation. And after it, Emma was left wondering what would happen next. If she'd learned anything about Mystic Falls, it was that things rarely went according to plan.

She could only hope all three of the Mikaelsons had time to leave before the sun set and Alaric was allowed to roam the town without the necessity to keep to the shadows. The thought often had her glancing out of the window, wondering where they were and if they were safe. She'd texted both Klaus and Kol after Rebekah left, but neither had yet answered.

The sun was starting to set, and that paired with the lack of replies had Emma pacing the length of her living room, her eyes frequently jumping to the large wooden clock resting on the wall. She was both checking how long it had been since she sent the texts, but also counting down the minutes until her mother was home.

Even though she doubted she could fully focus on stories of siphoners and what it meant to be one until she was sure all three of the Mikaelsons were safe. A part of Emma was very grateful for the fact that Elijah was already out of town or he'd be just one more vampire to worry about at this time.

The sound of her phone pinging had Emma jumping in her spot, heart skipping a beat before she relaxed and reminded herself that it was just that, her phone. And a message from Kol on it, informing her that he hadn't left yet, but would be doing soon once he packed up at the house.

'Don't leave yet, I'll be there in 5' Emma quickly typed on her phone, already grabbing her bag and car keys as she headed for the door. She herself had no reason to worry about being out in the streets as the purple sky started to grow darker and darker. And she wasn't about to let either of the brothers leave without saying goodbye first. Even if she did have to wrestle Klaus into it.

Emma always appreciated how easily a small town made it to get from one place to another. Usually, she was more of a fan of big and bustling cities, full of life and energy, but she couldn't deny the perks of Mystic Falls. There were, after all, so few she had to appreciate the odd outlier here and there.