[3]

"If you keep going like this, you'll be drunk in no time." Emma shook her head at Rebekah, watching the blonde take a large sip from the red plastic cup in her hand. The two sat together on one of the logs near a fire. When she met up with Rebekah in the school parking lot before the bonfire, Emma expected the blonde would want to socialize much more. But surprisingly, aside from some small talk here and there, Rebekah mostly stayed with Emma.

"Oh trust me, I doubt a couple of cups will have much of an effect. I need something stronger than cheep beer for that." Rebekah reassured with ease.

"When the night ends with me putting you to bed, I'll make sure you remember that." Emma teased, making Rebekah laugh in amusement. Looking down into her almost empty cup, Rebekah guessed that if she were normal, she probably would be feeling the effects of the alcohol by now.

"I'm going to go get another one. So I can prove you wrong." The blonde suddenly stood from her seat, downing the remaining contents from her cup as she did so. "You're sure you don't want some? Your water bottle won't last forever."

I'm driving, remember?" Emma fixed the blonde with a pointed look, standing to her feet as well as she continued to speak. "While you get a refill, I'm gonna go check in with my mum. It's not a request, but a demand."

"It's sweet, that she cares so much." Rebekah commented, smiling as she watched Emma do an imitation of what the blonde assumed was her mother.

"She can be a bit overprotective, but I love her all the same." Emma said with a smile as she pulled her cellphone out of her bag, checking to see if her mother had already texted. And just as she expected, she did. Emma knew some people her age would find her mother's overprotective nature irritating, but Emma could understand. After all, it's not like Marissa Park had no reason not to worry about her daughter.

With Rebekah walking off to the drinks table, Emma started heading away from the crowd in search of a quieter place where she could make a phone call. There was a chance her mother wouldn't answer since she was currently working. Her shift at the hospital extending beyond the afternoon and into the night. But then Emma would just answer her mother's text with one of her own.

And that was how it turned out too in the end. Focused on her phone as she typed out her text, letting her mother know she was okay and the party was nothing too special, Emma didn't notice the sound of a person coming up to her until the moment he spoke up.

"Hi there."

The voice, suddenly so close, made Emma yelp in surprise, her right hand squeezing her phone so she wouldn't drop it as she jumped in her spot. But her water bottle wasn't as much of a priority and so it cluttered down to the ground.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." The boy quickly apologized, bending down to pick up the fallen item before handing it back to her.

"It's alright." She reassured him, taking the bottle from his hand and unscrewing the cap so she could keep a cough at bay by clearing her throat. Once she was done, she let her focus turn back to him. he was cute, his dark hair and eyes matching together nicely, but Emma assumed he was younger since she hadn't seen in any of her classes.

"I'm Jeremy, by the way. You're one of the new girls, right? He seemed friendly as he extended his hand towards her, and so Emma accepted it with a small smile stretching over her lips.

"Yeah, I'm Emma. It's nice to meet you." She answered, pulling her hand back after a couple of moments. She felt her phone vibrate, her mother's reply arriving, but as Jeremy continued, she didn't check it instantly.

"So what brings you to Mystic Falls of all places?" He asked curiously, and Emma wasn't really sure about the answer. When her mother announced they were moving again, she didn't really have much of an explanation as to why.