[38]

With her hands on the wheel, Emma did her best to keep her eyes on the road while laughing in amusement. She was on her way to Rebekah's, as was their plan. However, the phone call which came through just as she was leaving her house made her lonely drive much more entertaining.

"And is there a lucky gentleman who gets to take you to this dance my sister is in such a tizzy about?" Kol's questioning voice came over the speaker-phone once again and Emma couldn't resist the small smirk which spread across her lips.

Surprisingly, ever since their unconventional exchange of numbers, Kol and Emma continued to keep in contact with each other. Whether it be through texts or calls, the two continued to reach out to one another. And it all started with a surprising text from Kol the night of Finn's death when he wanted to ensure she'd gotten home safely.

"Don't tell me you're jealous." Emma teased the vampire boldly. She doubted it to be true, but she couldn't pass up the opportunity. Her doubts, however, proved quite incorrect.

"Maybe I just don't like sharing." Kol suggested easily, making her let out another laugh of amusement. Someone had some catching up with the times to do.

"While that may be true, you don't control what I do." Emma pointed out firmly. She hadn't meant to make it rhyme, but it just gave her words a better ring in the end.

"You still haven't answered my question, darling." Kol pointed out, the smile clear in his voice. He too seemed as if he was merely having fun annoying her and nothing more. But Emma couldn't fail to notice the interest in her answer as her brought it back up again.

"I guess you'll never know, darling." She replied mysteriously. No, she didn't have a date to the dance, but he didn't need to know that. Kol Mikaelson liked a challenge and, while it came as a surprise even to herself, Emma was giving him one.

Before Kol could come up with his own reply, Emma spoke again as she came to park her car in front of the Mikaelson home just in time to see Rebekah and Klaus making their way outside with determined steps. "I'm at your house, and your brother has his plotting face on, so I'll have to call you back."

"I'll hold you to that promise." Kol said, making Emma smile as she jumped out of the car. She could hear sounds of a conversation starting up in the background of Kol's line. "And seems my entertainment has arrived as well. Don't get yourself killed."

"Goodbye, Kol." Emma said with a shake of her head before hanging up the phone. She didn't bother stepping towards the siblings whose path was headed right for her anyways.

"Come along, love, you get a front row seat to our victory." Klaus' words may have been cryptic, but they were enough to get Emma to follow. Victory sounded really entertaining.

Coming out of one car and into another, Emma curiously watched their surroundings pass by until she recognized the direction they were headed in. And it didn't take long for their destination to be reached. The Salvatore Boarding House was lit up from the inside, someone was home. But Klaus didn't let himself be deterred by that. Instead, he walked right in with the two women following closely behind him.

Emma wasn't sure what she expected victory to look like, but lounging around on the couch in the Salvatore's living room while listening to Rebekah narrate Stefan and Evil-Alaric's conversation to her seemed rather relaxed. To be honest, she was expecting a bit more blood.

And then the conversation stopped. The sound of footsteps which even Emma herself could hear made it clear Stefan was walking right towards them. He wasn't there when Klaus decided to make himself welcome in the home, so of course, as the Salvatore's eyes caught sight of them, the surprise in them was hard to control.