Chapter 2

I unlocked my apartment door when I got home. Since I get off work at 2:00 I have about 3 hours until I go to the bar. I might as well go see Steve because...honestly I don't know. Sometimes he can be nice when I do what he wants me to do, he actually shows some affection with a hug or something. I know it's still bad to be with him but I crave some sort of affection, and that's the only way I get it.

"Bye Bebe!" I yelled and closed the door after I got a bark in return.

I start walking because I don't have a car. Luckily I live 5 minutes from all the places that I work, and unfortunately only 7 minutes from Steve's house.

Once I got to Steve's house I didn't bother knocking because he said that he didn't want to be woken up and frankly I didn't want to wake him up. So he gave me a key. I walked in the front door and nobody was there.

"Steve?" I called out. I walked down a hall to his bedroom and opened the door.

"Steve?" I called out. He was lying in his bed so I turned on the light and saw long brown hair. I gasped and noticed that Steve had his arms wrapped around some girl.

"Okay. I'm done with you." I say and slammed the door closed.

"Hey," I heard him call when I got to the living room.

"What do you fucking want Steve?" I yell and turned around. I felt tears sting my eyes and everything flashed in front of me.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I was little again and I heard a knock on the door. I had a bad feeling about it but I opened it anyway. There were police everywhere. I felt intimidated in my light blue dress. They looked so much bigger and stronger than I did.

"Hello, can I help you?" I mumbled shyly. I was always told to respect the police and that they were good people.

"Yes, are you Adelaide Fox?" The police officer in front asked, and got on his knees to see me eye to eye.

"Yes, I am," I said politely like I was taught.

"Is your father home?" He asked.

"Um yes, I'll go get him for you?" I folded my hands nervously, as my statement sounded more like a question.

"If you would." He said and I scurried up the steps in my house to my dad's office.

"Um, dad there are some police at the door waiting to talk to you," I said and he got up grabbed my hand and we went down the steps.

"Let's get this over with," the officer said. "Your wife and mother has been in a fateful car crash and died on impact. She is in a better place and felt no pain. I give you and your family my sympathy and I apologize that you had to find out this way. The state is providing you with 3,000 dollars for a funeral. We must go on now but she is currently being held at the hospital. I do give you my sympathy and hope for a brighter future." The officer finished and he and all the others left in their cars.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I had cried. I promised myself that I would never cry again ever. I didn't cry when my father died. I didn't cry when l almost killed myself. I will not cry now. Apparently, my flashback didn't last long because Steve was about to answer my question.

"I want you to know that I didn't cheat." He said calmly.

"The fuck you didn't. I saw that girl lying naked in your bed!" I screamed letting the fury I've been holding for him all out.