Chapter 4

I walk into the room where everyone is waiting for their private session. I sit next to Evan neither of us have talked in about a week. "Riley James District 4." I stand up and walk in. "Riley James District 4," I announce when I walk in. I go over to the pop up targets and set it up. I go grab a piece of fabric a bow and a few arrows and the knife belt I go over and bind fold myself before I cover my eyes I see most people watching. I pull it down and press the button.

 I listen to the sounds of the pop ups and shot the first three with an arrow. I take the knives and throw it at each target. I take the blind fold of and see I hit them all. I look and see everyone's face looking amazed. I take a knife and throw it as hard as I could into a dummy the other end of the room. Only a few people are watching so I take an arrow and the bow and fire it at a picture in the room all the game makers are in. 

 I hear a few gaps and curtsy before leaving. I walk out and see Finnick waiting. "How did it go," he asks me. I walk passed him and into the elevator. "That bad," he asks me. "I missed a target and only hit on centre," I lie.

His face dropped before he plastered a face smile. "We still have the interviews," he says. We make it to the floor and I walk out into the kitchen. I grab a bottle of water and go to my room for a long shower. By the time I get dressed and dry my hair there is a knock on the door. I fix my hair and open it. I see Nico with a small smile. 

"Come they are realising the scores," he tells me. We both head out and I see my prep team. I sit between Finnick and Nico. They screen turns on and Caesar's face appears. He starts at one. 

1F= 9
1M= 10
2F=9
3F=8
3M=8

It shows Evans face and we all wait anxiously. "With a score of 7," Caesar says. I see Evans face drop. A few people congratulate him. "Riley James with a score of 11." I freeze as he say it. Finnick stands and pulls me up. He hugs me and spins me around. "Well done sweetie," Nico says as he hugs me. "Thanks Nico," I smile. "Alright so tomorrow we have our interviews tomorrow. Evan I will be going over with you. Riley you are with Finnick," Pixie tells us. 

The next morning I am awoken by my prep team. "Into the shower," Harp tells me. "Harp, give the poor child a minute," Trix tells her. "Alright I am up," I mutter. I grab the dressing gown and a towel and head to the bathroom. I come back out ten minutes later. They bring me into another room and I see Finnick and Nico. Finnick laughs at me when I walk in. "Aw did they wake the capitals princess from her beauty sleep," he jokes. "Shut up Fin. You and I both know I look better then you," I tell him. 

He rolls his eyes and I sit down. They start on my hair and nails. "So what is the plan seaweed," I ask. "You are going to go out and smile and wave," he tells me. "What big stuff will come up," I ask him. "You have that look," I tell him. "What look," he asks me. "You are debating whether or not you should tell me," I tell him. "Family," he says. "Dead simple." "Riley." "Fine my father died when I was a baby. My sister got sent into the games at 12. I was 9. I watched as the girl from 2 she was 18 kill her. My mum killed herself a few days later. Your mum looked after me till snow killed her," I say. 

I look over and see he has tears in his eyes. "We will give yous a minute," Nico tells us. Everyone leaves me and Finnick. "How did you know," he asks me. "That is why you stopped talking to me but still sent the money," I tell him. "I lost everyone else if I lost you. I can't. If Snow knew we were so close he would have killed you," he tells me. "What did you do to make him," I ask. "Don't say know to Snow," he tells me. Nico opens the door. "Nico yous can come back in," I tell him. 

The team comes in and continues. "So tell us Riley what made you want to volunteer," Finnick asks while doing a terrible impression of Caesar. "Well Caesar from a very young age I wanted to be in the games so I thought why not this year. It is not like any of us are getting any younger," I say. "Your sister was in the games if I am not mistaking," Finnick says. This continues till I am fully ready. "All done she is all yours," Denim says to Nico. "Thank you," I smile. We all say goodbye before they leaves. 

"Finnick leave the girl to get ready," Nico say. "Oh right see you after," he says before leaving. I have two outfits for you to choose from. One I don't even think is aloud but your choice," he tells me as we go to the back of the room. I see the two. A dress and an suit type suit. "The suit. Everyone keeps saying I need to be remembered," I tell him. 

I get into the suit. It is blue with a with a white pearl top under it. It is paired with the same white heals. He fixes my hair and make up slightly. "You look fantastic," he tells me. "Thank you, it is amazing," I tell him. He brings me out to he other tributes. "I can't talk to him. I can't I am not a people person," I panic. "Riley, look at me if you are panicking you can talk to me right," he asks. I nod as someone come over and started micing me. After a few minutes I am brought to the stage. 

"Next up we have District 4's Riley James the capitals princess," Caesar announces. I walk out with a smile. I see a few shocked faces in the crowd. "Riley you look amazing," he tells me. "Thank you Caesar but lets be honest you look fantastic. What age are you 20," I flirt. "Aren't you just aa flirt," he tells me. I fake a laugh. "Tell me about your family. Your sister was in the games if I am not mistaking." "She was unfortunately she did not win but made my mother and I very proud," I tell him. 

"Do you think you will win," he asks me. "I would not have volunteered if I did not think I could," I tell him. "Feisty, what do you think about what everyone is calling you. Princess of the capital," he asks me. "The only thing that scared me about coming to the capital was people not liking me but then I realised how nice and open to new people all you loving people are and I realised that I had nothing to be worried about," I tell him. The sound of the buzzer goes off. 

"It was nice talking to you Riley but I am afraid our time is up," he says. "Alright, I will see you after the games," I say with a flirty wink. The crowd all shout as I walk out. Finnick comes over and smiles. "You did good," he tells me. "I try," I say as he presses the roof button. We get up and I sit down. "This is our last time together," I say with a sad smile.  "You can't die," he tells me. "What is the point in living," I ask? "Because I love you and if you die it would kill me," He tells me.

"Finnick, you can't," I whisper. Knowing how this could get us both killed if we went public. "I have loved you for ever. I was going to tell you after the reaping before my games then they called my name and then Snow killed my parents because I did not want to sleep with people of the capital when I turn 16. When he killed my parents he threatened to kill you so I thought if I stopped talking to you it would disappear. You would be safe but I was wrong..." I cut off his ranting by pressing my lips to his. He kisses back. After a few seconds we pull away. 

I hug him and he kisses my head. "You know we won't be able to be seen together much," he tells me. "I know," I mutter. "I love you," he tells me. "I love you too," I tell him. We stay in the hug for a few minutes.  "Fin, promise you wont sleep with people to get me sponsors," I say while looking in his eyes. When he does not reply I know he is going to do what every he can. I kiss his cheek before we both head to listen to Pixie's lecture about wondering off. 

(17/07/2021)

1544