Chapter 12

Just After Giving Birth

I hold my daughter close to my chest and look over at Finnick to see him all teary eyed. "Maya Brooks Odair," I smile. Finnick kisses my head. She wakes up and her bright blue eyes looks into mine. "Hey Ellie," I coo. Within the next few hours Hannah comes over. She comes into the room and smiles. "Hey baby," she coos. "Hello to you too," I say sarcastically. "What name did you decide," she asks. "Maya Brooks," I tell her. "Suits her," she says.

I let her hold the sleeping baby. "Aunty Hannah is your favourite isn't she," Hannah coos as Finnick walks in. "Hannah I did not hear you come in," Finnick says. "Well here I am," she says. I notice Finnick's mode change slightly. "What's up," I ask. "The victor tour will be here next week," he tells me. "What so bad about that," Hannah asks. "Snow wants Maya's first appearance to be during the tour but Finnick has to leave before it to clear stuff up in the capital," I tell her. "Oh, that is unfair. Maya is only small and you just pushed a baby out of your vagina," she says causing me to laugh. 

SKIP ONE WEEK

I get Maya ready as Finnick walks in. "You ready to go," he asks me. I put Maya's little hat on and lift her up. I leave her in the pram and push it to the train station. Finnick takes Maya out and starts talking to her. He kisses her head and puts her back down. He turns to me and hugs me. "I love you," he whispers. "What if something happens," I ask. "You will be alright. Hannah said she will stay with you for a few days till you have to leave," he tells me. 

"But what about you," I ask. "I will be fine. I will see you in 4 days," he tells me. "I love you," I tell him. "I love you too," he says. I give him a kiss and he kisses Maya's head before leaving. I walk back to the house and see Hannah and Luke. "Hiya," Hannah says. "What are you two doing here," I ask them. "We had time to waste before we have to be at the square so we thought we would say hi," Luke says. We walk in and I grab a bottle for Maya and start feeding her. 

Nearly an hour later we all leave. Hannah says bye to Luke and we go inside. I see Haymitch walking around. I take Maya out of her pram. "Riley your here," Haymitch says walking over. "No way," I says sarcastically. "Who are you," Haymitch asks Hannah. "Hannah Wilson," she tells him. "Your the kid that Riley volunteered for," Haymitch says. "Yup," Hannah says. I see Effie walking around. "Please tell me one of you know what to do when the mayor is ill," she asks. "I have no idea," I tell her. I see Haymitch smirking at me. 

"Hey baby come to Haymitch as mummy gets ready to go in front of the cameras to make a speech," Haymitch coos while taking Maya. "Wait I am doing it," I ask. "Well Finnick is on his way to the capital. Mags can't talk and Annie is not sane enough so that only leave you princess," he tells me. I look at Hannah and see that she is trying not to laugh. 

"I pushed a baby out of me last week," I say in protest. "You have lied to everyone since you were 15 so you can introduce two victors," he tells me. "Fine what ever," I tell them. Effie hands me as flash card and I read it. "You want me to say this," I ask. "What else would you say," she asks me. "I have seen the footage. I know what has been happening when they go off script but I have been off script since I was 17," I tell her.

"Fine," she says before storming off. "I get the feeling she does not like me much," I say. Hannah laughs lightly. "She thinks you are like the rest of the careers," Haymitch tells me as Maya starts to fuss. He hands her back to me and she starts to stop. I notice the two newly crowed victors coming towards us. 

"Riley," Peeta smiles. "Peeta, Katniss good to see you both alive," I tell them. "It is good to see you too. and this little one," Peeta says. "Come on people we are on a tight schedule," Effie says. Hannah walks in front of me and fix my hair. "Hannah, I love you but I don't need you to keep doing this," I tell her. "You have no stylist. You have not looked in a mirror since you got Maya dressed," She tells me. "You know about 7 years ago I saved your life," I smirk knowing I win the argument. 

I walk out holding Maya and go to the mic. "Citizens of District 4 and Panem. I am delighted to introduce you to the everyone's favourite star crossed lovers on their 8 stop on the victory tour. Everyone Katniss Everdeen the girl on fire and Peeta Mellark the backers boy," I say. I walk to the back of the stage as they come out. 

They make there speech someone kissed there three fingers and whistled. I walk towards the door before peacekeepers can grab me. I see a few going to get the young man. I realise the guy was in Finnick's year at school. The doors close as Katniss and Peeta are shoved in. "Every district including a career district," Haymitch says. "Why would 4 want to rebel," Peeta asks. "Most people in 4 don't support the capital since they heard what happened to a mother after the 61st games," Hannah says.

"What do you mean," Peeta asks. Hannah goes to speak but I bet her two it. "A woman lost her husband a few years before her oldest daughter was reaped at 12. Her name was only in there once because her mother was a healer in the poorer part of the district but attracted some of the better off people. They gave her enough money off food that her daughter did not ned to sign up for tessera. Her name was still called so she was sent to the games. The mother started to make her nine year old daughter go to her friends place until a week or 2 after that she hung herself for her daughter to find her a week before her tenth birthday," I explain with tears in my eyes. 

I only looked at Maya as spoke. "Give us a minute," Haymitch tells them. He comes and hugs me lightly being careful of the sleeping baby in my arms. "The kid that found her mother was you. Wasn't it," he asks. "I always despised her for it. But it is only now holding Maya. I don't think I would be able to coop either if anything happened to her."

"You know you are the closes thing I had to a daughter," he tells me. "I never had a father that I remember till I got out of the games. I seen you with Finnick and knew you will always be there for me," I tell him. "Come on princess. We should go before Effie kills us," he tells me. We both head to where the others are. "I will see you in the capital," Haymitch asks me. "Yep me and little munchkin are out of here tomorrow," I tell him. 

"Alright, I will see you then," he tells me. He kisses my head as he follows the others out. Hannah and I meet Luke outside and we head home.

(24/07/2021)

1295