Chapter 7

We land in the capital and I get off. I see Finnick and Nico. Strangely enough Haymitch is with them. I run over and fall into Finnick's arms before I start crying. "It is alright. Your safe," he whispers. After about two minutes I compose myself.

"Good to see you alive Princess," Haymitch smiles. I give him a weak smile. "Why don't we go inside," Nico suggests. I follow them in and sit on the sofa with my knees pulled up to my chest. "I killed 11 people," I whisper. "You did what you had to do to come home," Haymitch tells me. "Your sober," I say slightly surprised. Finnick and Nico laugh lightly. "Where has everyone... Riley sweetheart nobody told me you were back yet," I hear Pixie say.

"Pixie, why don't I show you Riley's outfit for her interview," Nico says. "Alright I will be back." She leaves and I feel someone sit next to me. I look and see Finnick. "You want to go to your room," he asks me. "I slept for a few hours," I whisper. "I should go my train leaves tomorrow morning. I will see you on the victory tour," Haymitch tells us. I give a small smile as he leave. 

"How do you feel and don't say you are fine," Finnick whispers as he lifts me on his lap. I stop to think of the right words. "I don't know how I feel. I am happy I am going home but I feel guilty by the way I get to go," I tell him. "Go and shower. I will make some food for you to eat," he tells me. "You don't have to be nice to me Fin. I am a murderer," I tell him. "So am I. Know what do you want me to make," he asks. "You can cook," I ask him. "For you my love I will try anything," he tells me. 

"Do what ever you think you can do," I tell him before walking to my room. I shower and get dressed I realise that the bed was not made and a few of Finnick's hoodies were on the ground. I throw one on because it smelled good. I walked into the kitchen and smell something burning. I look and see a frustrated Finnick. I walk over and take the pan from him. I scrap the food of without saying anything. "It is burnt. Grab 6 eggs butter and milk please," I ask him. Grabs them and I crack the eggs into a bowl. I start to melt the butter in the pan. "Whisk these for me," I ask. He starts do that as I get the bacon to make. 

About 15 minutes later I am finished. Finnick is not to bad if you give him instructions. Mags, Nico and Pixi walk in as Finnick sets the table. "Perfect timing I made food," Finnick tells them. I cough slightly. "We made food," he corrects himself. "Is it eatable," Mags signs. "Don't worry Mags Finnick only whisked the eggs," I tell here. Everyone but Finnick laughs. We are nearly done as Haymitch walks in.

"What are you doing here," Pixie asks. You can hear the dislike for the victor in her voice. "I came to talk to Rilies," he tells her as he eats some bacon. "Rilies," I question. "Your bacon is better then mine," he complains. "That is because I added honey to them as they were frying," I tell him. "You have to come out to 12 and cook for me," he tells me. I roll my eyes at him. "Why are you here," Pixie asks again. "I got bored because my drinking buddy has already left," he tells us. 

An avox comes and hands me a letter. Haymitch and Finnick make eye contact and I know it is not good. "You two don't have to look at each other like that. I know what this is about without even opening it," I tell them as I rip it open. 

Ms. James, go to the roof as soon as possible. I feel like we should have a little chat- President Snow

"Excuse me," I say. I stand and go to my room. I change the jumper and go to the roof. The two peace keepers get into the elevator as I get out. I see Snow and an other guy at the table so I go over and stand. "Riley take a seat," he tells me. I sit down across from him. sit down as I am handed poker chips and the guy in the suit shuffles the cards. 

"Have you ever played poker Ms. James," Snow asks. "I have, sir," I say politely. "Well lets see how good you are. I have not lost a game in over 25 years," he tells me. "That is impressive," I tell him as we start to play. As we play I slide the money into the centre. We finish the game and I get a royal flush. "That is impressive, your one of very few that don't let me win. Ms. James," he tells me. "Just luck," I tell him. "I think you know I did not invite you to come up here to play poker," he says. "I had a feeling," I reply.

"I wont you to play for me. Play a few rounds of poker. Make me some money maybe even win that lover boy of yours," he tells me. "How long will I be here in the capital for," I ask. "Every 6 to 8  weeks from anywhere between 2 to 14 days. Unlike most other victors you will be able to travel to different districts as you wish," he tells me. "Will I be staying here," I ask. "Of course not you will have your own apartment in the same building as the rest of the victors," he tells me. "What is I lose," I ask him. "You will be giving a warning when you lose enough money." 

"When do I start," I ask. "Not till after your tour," he tells me. I leave and head to the floor. I see a sick looking Finnick and a stressed Haymitch. "Where have you been? Are you alright," Finnick asks. "I am alright," I tell him. "You have been gone for two hours," Haymitch tells me. "Poker usually takes a while," I tell him. "And you did not just let him win," Haymitch asks. "No way. Poker is one of my few useful talents because now I am just needed once every 6 weeks," I tell them.

"Wait he is letting you go with playing a game of poker. Thank god," Finnick says as he hugs me. "You should rest Riley. You need the sleep," Haymitch tells me. "I am fine," I tell him as I sit next to him. "No kid you need sleep. Even if it is only for a few hours," he tells me. I give in and head to my room. I change into a pair of PJs and get into bed

(20/07/21)

1175