Ch. 2

Abby was with Dylan, looking around the camp as they head to Mr. grandpas cabin, the man who started the camp.

They looked around the camp. The gardeners were handling plants. Tomato's, Carrots, Corn, and other vegetables from seeds the scavengers bring them.

The medics were handling the campers who were injured, mostly scratches that the gardeners and scavengers get.

The camp's cooker, Mason Blair, was working on the food for the campers to eat for dinner.

Abby wished life wasn't like this. She missed everything from 6 years ago.

She sighs. Dylan puts his hand on her shoulder.

Dylan: you alright?

Abby: Yeah. Yeah, I'm okay.

Dylan: alright...

They make it to Mr. grandpas cabin and ring the bell.

Abby: Mister?

Grandpa: Oh come in! But be careful!

Abby and Dylan walk in.

Hazel was sitting in one of the chairs, with her only plushie, waiting for Mr. grandpas word, as she was his assistant.

Chuck was in his corner, attempting to come up with a good invention idea that would help the camp for something.

Grandpa: what brings you here?

He smiles like nothing has happened to the world that is now dark and scarce.

Abby: how are you at making the gadgets for our future search?

Grandpa: well there were a few mishaps, making me have to redo it, but I think I have an idea.

Abby: well that's good, Mister. We just wanted to check.

Grandpa: that's okay.

Abby nods and she and Dylan walk out to head back to their cabin.

They pass the scavengers, the girls that were at Abby's school, the ones that Sarah admired. The Beautifuls.

They don't act as pretty and mean as they used to. They don't strut down the hallways as they did at school. They just walked by them with bags of food they scavenged for Mason.

She never thought she would say this, but she missed that. She was so used to it before. It's saddening to see them change for some reason.

Back at Abby and Dylan's cabin, Dylan sits at his desk, while Abby is pacing back and forth around the cabin, thinking of a plan. Dylan sighs.

Dylan: do you have to pace through the whole cabin?

Abby doesn't answer because she's too into thinking about her plan.

Dylan groans. He takes his slingshot and shoots a rock at the back of her head.

Abby: OW DYLAN!

Dylan: stop pacing!

Abby: I can't help it! I'm coming up with a plan!

Dylan: sit down and think!

Abby: ugh!

Abby sits down on her raggedy bed and opens up her book of notes to find something that could trigger a plan.

Things go silent for a while as Abby continues reading her notes and Dylan plays with his slingshot.

Dylan: she was a hypocrite.

Abby: huh?

Dylan: Millie. That's what we argued about.

Abby: What was she being hypocritical about?

Dylan: because my girlfriend was different than her. Assuming her personality without even getting to know her.

Abby: oh. Well. Everyone's at least a little hypocritical at some times.

Dylan sighs.

Abby looks back at her notes. She and Dylan had different stories.

Sarah wanted to be beautiful, even though she already was, to Abby. Then she changed. Abby didn't know-how.

Abby kept wanting to believe Sarah was still alive, but she wasn't sure. She was gonna find out.

After reading her notes, she ended up getting nothing from them. She groans and puts her notebook away.

Dylan: nothing?

Abby: nothing!

Dylan sighs. He was slowly losing hope. Abby was too, but she kept believing.

Abby: we need to search further away from the camp. We've been looking at the same places for no reason!

Dylan: Mr. grandpa won't let us go that far!

Abby: that's why we can't find them!

Dylan: we're not risking it!

Abby: if we don't, we'll never find them!

Dylan sighs angrily.

Abby: cmon Dylan!

Dylan: no. I do not want to get in trouble, let alone get killed.

Abby: what is out there that will kill you?! There's nothing!

Dylan: people have been talking about dangerous stuff outside, far away from the camp.

Abby: ugh like what?

Dylan: things that could've possibly...

Dylan stopped talking and looks away quickly. Abby gets confused.

Abby: what things?

Dylan: just stop. We're not going.

Abby: hmph! Guess you don't care about Millie anymore.

Dylan: I do! But I also care if we get in trouble!

Abby: ugh, fine!

Abby rolls over in her bed, facing away from Dylan, angry.

How could Dylan not want to break the rules to save a friend that he cared about so many years before?!

If he's not going to do it with her, she might as well do it herself. She's just gotta wait for the perfect time.

They hear the bell ring that interrupted her thoughts. She'll think about it later. Right now it's dinner time for the whole camp.

𝘛𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘶𝘦𝘥. . .