Ch. 11

Abby laid on her bed silently, staring at the ceiling, as Dylan was reading "H.P Lovecraft" for the one-hundredth time.

Abby's mind was all over the place. She didn't want to let go of the little hope she had left, yet Dylan was ready to let go of his... she misses Sarah, even if they had disagreements and Sarah never listened to her when she said that she was beautiful the way she was...

Abby felt like crying just thinking about the way Sarah looked at her before she left and... disappeared.

Abby probably made it visible how hard she was trying to hold back tears because Dylan noticed her.

Dylan: it's okay to cry about it you know...

Abby: b-but I don't wanna s-seem w-weak...

Dylan: Abby... your best friend is missing, everything in the world has gone dark, people around us are crying all the time... you're not gonna seem weak to anybody here... plus it's just me in here and I understand how you feel. So it's okay to cry... I'm not gonna think little of you.

Abby began crying, something she hasn't done in a long time, especially in front of someone. Dylan puts away his book and goes over to Abby to hug her.

Abby hugs him back.

Dylan: ...you can try to keep a hold of your hope, but just know it won't be with you forever. If we do find them at some point... who knows if they'll be dead or alive... but at least we'd have an answer either way...

Abby began crying more and Dylan hugged her tighter.

Dylan: I'm sorry Abby...

Abby: no you're right... I know you are...

Abby let go of the hug and went to lay back down on her bed.

Dylan: are we gonna go searching today?

Abby: no... not today...

Dylan: okay.

Dylan went back to reading his book and Abby continued to stare at the ceiling, with tears still in her eyes. Dylan is right... she can hold onto her hope all she wants, but it won't last forever...

———

The next day, Abby woke up to Jillian at the doorway of the ghost hunter's cabin. Dylan was just as confused as Abby was.

Jillian: Abby! Dylan! There's something... strange in the middle of the camp!

Abby: w-what is it?

Jillian: come look!

Abby: ugh, okay!

Abby jumps out of her bed and runs out of the ghost hunter's cabin with Dylan behind her. Jillian led them to the middle of the camp to find... bloody bags.

Abby: w-what?

Tabitha: so gross...

Abby: there's a note...

Abby picks up the note and reads it.

Abby: "you said you missed Sarah. Now she's here! - love: Eleanor and Fetch"

Abby looks at the bags and started to realize... what was in those bags?!

Abby panicked and tore the note into tiny pieces.

Abby: this cannot be what I think it is! N-no!!

Tabitha: huh? What is it?!

Abby: I... I gotta go!! I can't look at this!! I can't be here!!

Abby runs outside of the camp, not listening to anybody's concerning words as she ran past them.

Dylan: A-Abby!! Wait- w-what's in those bags?