chapter ten . hypothetical

"Ballad," Schue starts, "From Middle English, balade

"Ballad," Schue starts, "From Middle English, balade. Who knows what this word means?"

"It's a male duck." Brittany says. Nat smiles at the girl, nodding. Schue points to Kurt, "Kurt?"

"A ballad is a love song." Kurt says, glancing quickly at Finn. Nat frowns, making a mental note to talk to Kurt.

"Sometimes, but they don't always express love. Ballads are stories set to music-which is why they're the perfect storm of self-expression. Stories and music are the way we express feelings that we can't get out any other way. Okay, now, sectionals are in a few weeks and there's a new rule this year- we have to perform... a ballad."

"Looks like my weekly letter to the Ohio Show Choir Committee finally paid off!"

"Okay. So here's our assignment for the week: I'm going to pair you off, and I want you to pick a ballad to sing to your partner. Look them right in the eye, find the emotion you want to express, and make them feel it."

Nat smirks, looking to Quinn before standing up, "Tragically, I am unable to complete this assignment."

"Why not?" Schue looked amused.

"I can't express my feelings to a bunch of people. And I don't want my girlfriend getting jealous." Nat says slyly. It was only a half lie, Nat doesn't really do commitment. She didn't want Quinn to get jealous.

"Girlfriend?" Quinn says loudly, glaring at Nat, "Who?"

"I didn't think you would care, Fabray." Nat was trying so hard not to laugh. Quinn glares, "I just want to send some flowers to the poor girl who has to deal with you."

Schue interupts, "Doesn't matter, Nat. I told you before, ballads aren't just love songs. Now, as for pairs--"

"I pick Quinn." Finn says quickly. Quinn was too busy glaring at Nat to notice.

"No, no, no. Too easy. Your partners will be chosen by fate." Schue grins. Nat glances up, intrigued.

"Ooh, yeah. I put all your names in this hat. Whoever you choose is your partner."

"I bet the duck's in the hat."

"But Matt's out sick today. He had to go to the hospital, 'cause they found a spider in his ear."

"And A-Artie's out l-looking at spi-spinal su-surgeries." Tina stutters.

"Um... I guess I'll just have to put my name in the hat for now. Who's up first?" Schue drums his hands on the piano.