Three (part 2)

"Wait here."

I dragged my eyes from the bright lights that shined through the treeline and towards Ares. I had a shoulder resting against a tree that was supporting my body to stay upright, Thorne was sitting on the ground beside me. We had passed markers indicating we had reached the border between the Deadlands and Fae territory about an hour ago. I could feel my body begging for rest.

Who knew sitting on a moving animal could be so taxing? I could only imagine how tired poor Thorne was. I reached down a hand and ran my thumb over his ear. The giant wolf had grown on me during the journey.

"Where are you going?"

Ares shifted the bag that hung off one of his shoulders to his front. Searching through it, he pulled something out and pocketed it.

He hadn't spoken much as we travelled. I didn't have a problem with that, I preferred it. It better allowed me to keep my eyes and ears open for any other attacking creatures. I had been on the lookout ever since we left the cooling carcass of the last one. I had thought it was a good opportunity to question Ares further on the proposition he mentioned, but I thought it would be better to wait until we were safe.

Well, safer.

But seeing as we had been travelling long enough for the night to turn into day and to start turning back into night, I was growing impatient. Now wasn't the best time to be abandoned.

Returning his pack to his back, Ares looked at me from the corner of his eyes. "You smell."

I blinked at him, taken aback. My mouth parted in surprise. My cheeks started to warm and embarrassment flooded my face. It soon started to turn into anger.

Rude asshole.

His lips twitched. "You smell of blood," he added.

Exhausted, tired, and hungry as I was, I wasn't able to hide the frustration that started seeping into my voice. "That's what happens when you're covered in blood."

"Human blood."

I ground my teeth. What did that mean? I was tired of people saying things and expecting me to just know what they meant. If they could figure out I wasn't from this world, why couldn't they figure out I didn't know jack shit about it?

"I don't know what that means," I vocalized. "I don't know what anything means! Like you pointed out, I'm not from this realm!" My words seemed to have a mind of their own, running wild at the chance they were presented with to air and I was too tired to stop them. I was sure I was going to cringe when I looked back at this moment when I was rested and fed. "I don't know why everyone hates me, I don't know what I've done to make them hate me and I don't know how to stop them! Why doesn't anyone understand that I know nothing!"

I was panting hard by the time I stopped talking. My harsh breaths were the only sound that could be heard. I hadn't realized when my words had turned from his incident into their incidents.

As the silence stretched, the anger that warmed my skin began to cool. Instead of the heat of emotions, the hollow and chilling sense of dread rushed through my veins.

I had lost my temper.

I discreetly peeked at Ares through my lashes. My muscles had begun to tighten as I tried to gauge how he would react to my outburst.

I bet his brother wouldn't have reacted well.

He stood in the same spot but had turned his body to face me. His arms were crossed and his face was hard set, his brows were lowered over his eyes. Eyes that we're watching me closely.