Four (Part 2)

Cassius Montgomery

I raised a brow. "Am I not good company that you're so quick to plan your departure?" I asked jokingly. The fact that I had asked it in a cold hard voice that lacked amusement took away any humour and had Stephen swallowing. "What are you searching for that it would take your search to the Deadlands?" I asked, revealing the destination in hopes of warding him away.

His eyes widened slightly. He tried to hide his reaction with a shrug. "Something special."

I had a feeling there was something of importance that Stephen was hiding. A part of me was curious as to what he had going on but I decided to just shrug it off, sighing. I wasn't going to start becoming involved in my youngest brother's life now after years of having a relationship that consisted of the bare minimum. If mother wasn't so dead set on creating the 'perfect loving family,' Stephen and I most likely wouldn't have even recognized each other at first sight. The youngest of our line was know for dodging mother's get-togethers, but he had been more absent than usual this past century if mother's complaints were anything to go by.

I slowly sipped from my cup.

"If you're uncomfortable with me tagging along with your friends, that's quite alright," he said, emphasizing the word to drive home the fact I had no blood relation to the men.

My irritation grew. We both knew the four men in the room with me were more of a real family than he was. Then anyone of my blood family was. While they gave underhanded compliments and tried to gain my favour for their own personal gain, the men that stood beside me today were willing to risk their lives to help me.

"It'll give me a chance to finally stop by mom's. She's been nagging me for months to visit."

I stilled, the rim of my cup pressed against my lower lip. After a moment's hesitation, I took a sip.

The smug bastard's lips lifted in a barely visible smirk. He knew he had me.

My jaw clenched. I forced a smile. "I didn't say no," I said, trying to keep the anger from my voice. "I was just curious about what had gotten my little brother's attention enough to make him search so vastly."

His lips split in a grin, no longer trying to hide his amusement. "Well, in that case, I guess mom can wait a bit longer for her favourite son to visit. I'll just let Cedric know of the change of plans, when are we departing?" He asked, ignoring the last words I spoke.

"Now," Zev interjected. He stood with a wide stance and his arms crossed, his eyes were narrowed on Stephen.

It seemed I wasn't the only one who thought he was acting suspiciously.

"Excellent!" Stephen exclaimed with a clap.

The sharp sound echoed off the walls, but the one who created it was no longer present.

"Wha..."

Jaxon had voiced the question that could be seen mirrored on the faces of the others at Stephen's disappearing act.

I sighed as I rubbed my brows, trying to will away my worsening headache. They didn't know my bloodline could travel across realms. The cuff on my ear kept me from accessing the ability that had seemed like second nature to me ever since I first did it as a child.

I rose from my seat. "Make sure all last-minute preparations are complete," I said.

"You're just going to pretend that didn't happen? And since when did you have a brother?"

"Yes, and since I was 114," I answered before turning for the exit. I could hear Jaxon's voice call out behind me.

"Are you serious?" He asked, exasperated.