Eight (Part 1)

The ground was racing up to meet my face before I could even process the shift in my center of gravity. The darkening sky made it nearly impossible to tell a protruding root from the leaves that littered the floor.

I shut my eyes and prepared for the worst, but found myself gasping when an arm firmly grabbed me around the waist. When it pulled me against a hard chest, I instinctively tensed, waiting for the pain in my back to hit.

"Careful, sweetheart, wouldn't want to ruin that beautiful face, now would we?"

Ryder's teasing words had me blinking my eyes as I remembered that pain wouldn't be hitting. He had fixed my back. It was the only reason I was able to walk on my own two feet alongside the two men and Thorne. The giant wolf had been sticking to my side much to Ares dismay, but from the faint smiled glances, I didn't think he minded too much. I know I didn't mind. His soft fur warmed my hands from the chilled air that gently blew through the air. It didn't seem to bother the other two much, but it had started to get to the point where I was losing feeling in the tip of my nose.

Awe at the sudden lack of pain was soon replaced by embarrassment as memories of the tears I had shamelessly shed in front of him resurfaced, much like they had been doing each time I was forced to face the fox eared man. I pried his arm from around me, more successful without wounds holding me back, and pushed him away. Not that I needed to. There was Ares for that.

The tall, dark, handsome man had once more placed himself between Ryder and I like he had been doing so through the journey since we had departed.

"It isn't like you wouldn't be able to fix it even if she did," Ares added shouldering Ryder away when he tried to get closer. He sent a bored glance towards me with eyes that were starting to replace the cold one flaked with silver that froze me in fear. "I have a feeling that talent of yours is going to be put to good use," he said to Ryder without looking towards him.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Ares?"

He rose a questioning brow.

"How fast do you heal?"

He chuckled. "Why, little one, are you planning on testing my abilities?" He asked, leaning towards me.

I stumbled a step away before straightening and continuing as nothing had happened.

"No." Yes.

I paused slightly before taking my next step as the small exchange with Ares replayed in my head. Realizing that I normally wouldn't have been brave enough to engage in the flirty banter that Ares seemed to enjoy, I nervously sent a curious glance in Ryder's direction, fearing that he would catch me looking at him once again.

I don't know what it was about ryders presence, but despite introducing himself as a threat, his presence was able to let me relax more than I could make myself before. I found that I wasn't constantly tiptoeing around him or Ares anymore. The thought of replying with the same energy as the two didn't cause a cold sweat to break out over my back.

"I can help you test that," Ryder said as he popped up on my other side, giving me a small fright.

He went to drape his arm over my shoulder and use me as support to stand like he seemed to love to do, but before he could make contact with me, I found myself being pulled into Ares's side under his arm.

"Keep your distance, kitsune," he warned the mischievous man with narrowed eyes.

"Why don't you keep yours, Fae?" Ryder replied, a hint of anger showing in his features. "If you've forgotten, I'm her soul bound."

"And if you've forgotten," he countered. "She doesn't want you."

Ryder seemed taken aback for a moment as Ares's words hit home. He narrowed his eyes.