Nine (Part 2)

With a fake smile, Ares took care of the rest of the final expenses. Jevrik didn't show any further signs of reluctance as he assisted him, no, his eyes were now shining gold from the small pile Ares had created on the counter. Guess Fae were like humans in the sense that they couldn't escape the lure of riches either. I didn't know why but I found it a little disappointing that Fae was just as easily swayed by greed.

I took the chance to use the moment to remind myself not to trust any Fae. Just like I trusted no human that wasn't a literal child. I glanced at the man walking beside me. I would do what I needed to and play along nicely until I got what I needed. It was time to stop letting people just use me. If they were going to benefit from putting me in harm's way, I would also feast on the fruits of my labour, using who I needed along the way.

This was a dog-eat-dog world. Well, this particular part of that world was a Fae eat Fae section. If I was going to dress like a Fae, then I didn't see why I shouldn't play like them.

In no time we were back out on the crowded street, just better dressed to blend in. As we started down the cobbled path, I was ashamed to realize that the quick darting of my eyes wasn't to take in all the sight I could before we passed. No, the glances around were me hoping to catch sight of Ryder's small, furred body.

Physically forcing my eyes forward, I stepped closer to Ares. To focus on something different, I tried to engage him in conversation. It seemed safer than trying with Ryder.

"What am I going to look-" I started asking about the glamour.

He cut me off with a sharp glare out of the corner of his eyes. "Not here." His words were quiet, only loud enough for my ears to catch faintly.

Glancing around, this time in paranoia, my shoulders rose to my ears in embarrassment at my stupidity. I should have known better than to talk about the secret plan the assassin man had in public.

A sigh sounded from Ares's direction, but I kept my eyes on my feet, watching my step as I maneuvered over an uneven stone in the cobbled road.

"That is the club where we'll find him," he said just as quietly as he had warned me to hush.

I look towards him and followed his gaze to a large, black, brick building. I could only catch a brief glimpse of it through the small and rare gaps in the crowd that walked by and the road that separated the streets. The windows were blacked out and heavy metal doors shut.

"We'll get a room at the inn across the street to keep an eye out for his arrival. It may take a few days to wait for him to show but since he's a regular at the establishment, it shouldn't take too long. I'll tell you more about the glamour and how exactly you'll be catching his attention when we're in our room."

With those words, he continued in the direction he had just indicated. It was to a narrow, white cottage-style building sandwiched between two brick ones that were almost entirely consumed with moss and ivy. It stood four stories high and looked warm and inviting; homely. It was a wonder it was located across the street from a club. The drunk patrons must have served as good business.

As we continued down the street along the sidewalk a tempting aroma caught my attention. I couldn't help but slow down, falling behind as Ares continued forward. My eyes scanned near me. This time instead of looking for Ryder, who I had to admit smell a but tempting himself, I was looking for the source of that mouth-watering aroma that called to me. I could already taste the sweet sugary notes on my tastebuds from the scent alone.

When I glanced behind me, I finally found the source. A small wooden cart. Small plastic bags were hanging off the edge and hanging on a beam that ran across the roofed top. Steam clouded the clear material, blocking the golden-brown treat from sight. The white clouds of vapour also rose from around a square cover that was latched shut on the body of the cart. I could feel my mouth flood with water as my eyes feasted.