Twelve (Part 1)

Jaxon

I pulled at the clasp at my neck. It felt suffocating being forced to wear it even in the cool of the night. As a shifter my core temperature ran higher, making the cloak a nuisance that was necessary to mask my distinguishing features. The hood in place over my head covered my golden eyes. It would have been easy to blend in with the Fae with my light hair and sharp features, but the golden eyes that burned with my dragon's fire would have given away my status as a Golden Dragon.

Given the dark history the Fae possessed, and their dark present, I didn't want word to spread of my presence and for my scales to suddenly become a sought-after treasure. That would make everything unnecessarily more difficult.

Keeping my head lowered, I led our band of not so merry men down the street bustling with Fae scum. I wasn't afraid to let my disdain for those that resided in the royal capital be know, not after walking past those whose lavish lifestyles damned. The fae that resided within these walls were the kind that would trade their firstborn for the chance at the status a Golden scale would bring their family.

Zev walked closely behind me while the other two tagalongs trailed at a greater distance. Not that it was really necessary to follow me now. Nea's scent had become strong enough for the others to catch a short while into our hunt.

My fists clenched.

It was because her blood had strengthened her scent.

The journey had become blanketed with strained silence since the realization was made. Even Stephen had quieted his snide remarks since then, but he and his henchman had increased their suspicious behaviour. But, although I found them suspicious, it was safer to have them with us where we could keep watch as they had their hushed conversations. It allowed us to keep an eye on them.

I continuously scanned the area from beneath my hood as I followed the fresh recent scent trail down the walking path. Judging by the strength, the trail had just been a few hours old. When the scent abruptly cut off I stopped.

"Here," I said, backtracking a step to where I found that the scent didn't cut off, but instead changed the direction it went in.

The trail I had been following stopped continuing beyond a heavy wooden door. From there it split in two directions. One led towards the door, leading into the establishment, the other crossed the street.

A quick look to the other side of the street where the second trail led and I spotted more buildings that blended in with the rest. Nothing stood out-

My eyes narrowed on the elven club across the street. I had missed it at first, but now that I had seen the sign, the was no mistaking the cursive lines that made up the elvish tongue. Although it wasn't odd to see the taboo establishment in the outer edges of the capital, it caused a feeling of unease inside that the girl's scent led us towards one.

Remembering her bloodied state the last time we saw her had my heart racing. She wouldn't have come to a place like this on her own unscathed, or at all for that matter considering the severity of her wounds and her slowed healing. Neither of us had stated it out loud, but it was clear from the looks we shared that both Zev and I had had the thought at some point along the journey. But to know that the one she may have been with would take her to a place like this? That had an anger brewing in my soul as I imagined the kind of person who would bring her here.

Elven clubs were known to be a place of debauchery and drugs. It left a bad taste in my mind to think of her venturing into such an establishment. Her innocence would lure out the darkest of monsters that lurked in the shadows.

Looking up, I searched for a sign to identify the other direction she had gone in. When my eyes locked onto the hanging sign that labelled the establishment we stood in front of, I couldn't help the irrational wave of blinding emotions that pushed my dragon to the front. The burning scent of embers filled the air as smoke drifted out of my nostrils and the corners of my mouth as I bared my teeth in anger as my mind ventured to the worst possible scenarios from the limited information I was discovering. But there was one thing I knew for certain.