Thirteen (Part 2)

Tendrils of smoke slowly drifted from his nostrils and the corners of his curled lips.

Zev sigh as he crossed his arms. "There was a reason I could fool you with her." He lifted his chin in my direction. "Smell her."

I didn't get a chance to process Zev's words and prepare before I was being lifted by the front of my shirt. My neck snapped back, sure to give me whiplash, before my unsteady, wide eyes focused to meet with Jaxons' dark, golden ones.

Standing on my tiptoes to escape the strain of being lifted off the ground, I struggled as I latched onto Jaxon's wrists to steady myself, rising higher to escape the painful burn his hold was causing across the back of my neck.

Jerking me sharply, I stumbled forward with a grimace as he bent over and shoved his nose right below my ear, inhaling loudly as he smelled me.

Through the fear he brought out in me, I felt a hint of annoyance. I was getting sick and tired of being a scratch and sniff.

My annoyance didn't last long. The low growl that resonated from Jaxon's chest had eaten it away with fear. I could feel the sound vibrating against my skin where he hovered mere millimetres from my skin.

Pulling back, I was no longer able to keep my feet on the ground when Jaxon adjusted his grip on the front of my shirt and lifted me off the ground. I yelped in pain as he lifted me until we were face to face; nose to nose.

I felt suffocated by the pressure being applied to the back of my neck. The obscurity of once again being their captive only made it worse as it caused my throat to thicken with fear. Unable to stop myself, I struck out at Jaxon as the feeling of not being able to breathe worsened. Kicking, punching, and scratching, I attacked him in an attempt to get him to release me.

When one of my blind kicks firmly landed near his family jewels, he let out a cursed grunt before harshly shaking me. The shake stunned me for a moment, but the way it cause me to shift in his hold had the taunt fabric cutting off my air supply for real, adding another layer of desperation to my struggles.

"Here."

Although Ares's voice reached my ears, I couldn't see what he was doing. All my attention was focused on freeing myself from Jaxon.

But it didn't take long to realize what was happening.

Turning me around, Jaxon pinned my back against this body. Grabbing both my arms, he clutched my wrists in front of me in one hand. With the other, he began to wind a rope around my wrists. A rope Zev must have handed to him seeing as he didn't have it earlier.

When he had bound my wrists together he released me, causing me to land in a heap at his feet. Luckily I was able to catch myself since he had tied my hands in front of me. Free from his hold, I tried to get to my feet and distance myself from him but ended up eating dirt when he pulled my legs out from beneath me and began to blind my ankles as I lay on my stomach with my hands trapped between my body and the ground.

"All I can smell is the girl," Jaxon growled out as he tightened the rope while looking down at me. Although he was looking at me, his words weren't intended for me. "I can't even smell her scent beneath it." He turned his frustrated eyes towards Zev as he roughly pulled the rope one last time before rising to his feet. "Who is she?" He asked Zev, disregarding my bound body as I struggled to face the two with my now limited movement.

"Ares's whore."

I couldn't help but pause in my struggle to narrow my eyes on Zev at his words. Anger had me gritting my teeth. Being called a whore hit closer to home than I liked. What made it worse, was the man the shaming was coming from. And if I wasn't mistaken, hadn't this man shared with me that he himself was once a whore? Who was he thinking he could insult me as one?