Fifteen (Part 4)

Cedric acted while everyone's attention was on him and his words. Standing just behind Jaxon, it gave him the perfect opening to sink his dagger into his back.

Jaxon noticed the attack and tried to evade it, but he noticed a moment too late.

He stopped a cry of pain from leaving his lips as he stumbled to his knee. Falling forward, he didn't even try to catch himself as his heavy body landed on the ground face down.

I clutched at the fabric covering my chest over my heart. The pain was being transmitted to me through the thread connecting us. It wasn't like before where I could tell by a dull sensation that he was in it, this time I was feeling it like sharp pinpricks jabbing at my heart.

My breaths become erratic as I realized that meant something was wrong. The bond was warning me. He was seriously injured.

At the same time that Cedric stabbed Jaxon, He had sent two daggers flying with a flick of his fingers. They were headed in two different directions. One for Zev, and the other for Ares. My heart stilled for a beat as Ares dodged out of the daggers path, taking me with him. Zev the other hand, wasn't as lucky.

Although he had managed to get out of the blade's direct path, it still managed to nick him on the cheek. He lifted his hand to wipe the drop of blood that bubbled to the surface and dripped down the end of the wound, but his hand dropped halfway there. Zev's brows furrowed in confusion, but soon his whole body stumbled forward, his legs no longer able to support him. He fell onto his side, his white locks contrasting sharply against the dark ground. Like Jaxon, he lay motionless, except his eyes were still open. When they darted towards Ares in panic, it was clear he was still awake and aware.

We didn't get much time to dwell on his or Jaxon's well-being before another dagger was racing through the air towards us, followed closely behind by more. Keeping me shielded behind his body, Ares dodged them all with tact, showcasing the skills that had made him so infamous.

A sharp, stabbing pain had my head jerking up. "No!" The word left my lips as a strangled scream when my eyes locked on Cedric plunging the same blade he had used to immobilize Jaxon into Ryder's chest as he lay still on the ground motionless.

Hysteria had me releasing Ares's shirt and bolting towards the two on the other side of the clearing. I was smart enough to know that I could do nothing, but my thrashing heart didn't understand that. All it knew was that Ryder was hurt and I needed to get to him.

I didn't get far before Ares's arm wrapped around my waist, stopping me in my tracks. He held me firmly, but his grip tightened further when he released a hard grunt. Moments later his hold loosened until his hands dropped and his weight on my back increased. Soon, I was the only thing keeping him up, but I couldn't hold him up any longer, he was too heavy. My legs collapsed and he fell onto me, trapping me underneath.

My harsh breaths sent up clouds of dust as small rocks and twigs dug into my cheek. The discomfort was nothing thought compared to the agony I felt in my chest.

Soft footsteps made their way towards me.

"You can never behave, can you?" He said as he came to a stop by my side. His leather shoes that were typically polished to perfection were coated with mud.

He kicked Ares off of me. With the lifted weight I was finally able to take a breath, but it was stolen by a swift kick to my side. I curled over, a whimper of pain escaping my lips.

"Let's go," He said to Cedric who was wiping the blood from his blade. He sheathed it in the harness on his hip and nodded.

My eyes had just focused on Ares when He grabbed me by the hair and began dragging me behind him. I grabbed at his hands as my eyes shut against the pull, sending tears tracking down my face. My eye cracked open to meet Ares through the haze of tears. His gold-flaked lavender orbs watched me in horror, filling with tears as I was dragged off.