Eleven (Part 1)

I eyed the open door with confusion. No sound came from within the club, but from what I could see through the door, I should have been assaulted by it.

"Hmph."

I jumped at the disgruntled grunt.

"Sorry," I said to the bouncer. Shuffling past him with my head scrunched between my shoulders in embarrassment. I walked into the darkness strobing with bright lights and colours.

The moment I stepped through the threshold, I reared back, earning another sound of annoyance from the man behind me. I had just unpleasantly learned why it was so quiet on the street.

Stepping back through the door with my ears still ringing, I was prepared for the onslaught of noise, smell, and debauchery.

As I passed through the doorway, an invisible film seemed to block my way. It was like cling wrap, clinging to each curve, moulding to my body as I entered until the invisible barrier could no longer stretch any further and it gave way. When the tension of the invisible barrier broke, I continued forward, trying not to flinch at the sudden attack on my senses.

Music played so loud that I could feel each beat shake my teeth. It was surprising how similar it was to the kind back on earth. I didn't know what I expected, maybe flutes or something, but the chaotic beat playing was not what I had in mind. The scent of sweat, musk, and sex thickened the humid air as sweating bodies ground against one another.

Flashes of brightly coloured fabrics danced before my eyes. I guess the light-coloured dress code was only for the streets in broad daylight.

As I ventured further inside, I was also surprised to witness so many engaged in sexual acts. I tried to keep my eyes from straying too much as I looked for Ares, but I couldn't stop my eyes from lingering when I passed a sofa where a man had his head lowered into the lap of another man. It didn't take much to deduce what was happening there, especially with the way the man's head was moving.

The sight, although intriguing, made my fear increase. What would stop my target from doing something like that to me in the middle of this club? What if he didn't care for the privacy of a room?

My eyes locked on Ares while I panicked. Although his facial features weren't the same his piercing eyes still were. When mine met his, it was like instant relief. The what-ifs were silenced.

Ares wouldn't let him.

A soft brush against my bare calf had me jumping and looking down. Clutching at my heart, I reconsidered being nicer to Ryder as I saw a flash of the tip of his blue tail before he disappeared into the crowd.

I frowned as I looked on after where I had seen him.

A bump to my shoulder had me reaching my hands out as I steadied myself.

"Sorry," a drunk woman with flowers decorating her golden hair slurred as she bumped into me.

I smiled politely at her apology and tried to push through, but she stopped me. Snaking her arms around mine, she pulled me closer, hugging my arm. I carefully concealed the grimace from my face when my bare arm met her sweaty skin where it was revealed in the low scoop top of her dress.

"Hi, I'm Kamara," she said, a smile lighting her face.

Her eyes darted down from mine for a moment, causing my discomfort to increase. It was brief, but I had caught what she had done. From her height advantage, she had a perfect view down the top of my dress. Although my period was being kind this time and ending sooner than I expected, my breasts were still sore and swollen, pushing against the fabric.

Trying to pull away, I gave a weak reply "Hi."

She didn't seem to get the hint that I wasn't in the mood to chat from my short answer. Instead, she tightened her hold and leaned forward, coming uncomfortably close. Well, she was technically already too close the moment she had touched me, but what pushed the line was when she pressed her nose into the side of my head.