chapter 1: beginning

• ☼ • ☾ • ✰ •

"Congratulations ma'am, you have two beautiful baby boys!"

Kaori Itadori held the first born twin in her arms while her husband Jin held the younger twin. 

"What will we name them?" Jin asked her.

"Hmm," Kaori thought about it. "I know we decided on naming one of them Sukuna, so the one in my arms will be Sukuna. I haven't thought about what to name the other one."

Then she turned to the nurse beside her. "Do you have any name ideas?" She asked her.

The nurse scratched her chin. And then she had an idea. "Oh I know! You should name him 'Yuuji' since it means second and it also means peace. So that you'll have a peaceful second son!" She exclaimed.

"Yuuji huh?" She looked at newborn Yuuji who was nestled in Jin's arms. "Well good enough, he'll be Yuuji then!"

That was how it started. 

Even when they were born, Sukuna was always first. 

• ☼ • ☾ • ✰ •

"On your mark, get set, go!" The whistle blew.

Yuuji ran as fast as he could. He was neck-in-neck with Sukuna, but somehow Sukuna seemed relaxed. They were far ahead of all the other boys, who were struggling to even run. 

And then the finish line was in sight. Yuuji dashed for it, confident that he could win this time. But Sukuna sped up suddenly, and crossed it before Yuuji could.

"Sukuna won again!" "As always!" The students around them cheered and crowded Sukuna, celebrating his victory. 

Yuuji just dusted off his shoes and went to go get a drink of water. Before he could walk away, Sukuna called out to him.

"Looks like you're second place again! As always," He snicked. "You'll never beat me Yuuji." He made fun of him. The students around him started to laugh and point. 

That was how it always was. Sukuna was always first. Whether it was in grades, sports, or talents, he was always number 1. Sukuna even bragged that since he came out of the womb first, it meant that he was better than Yuuji, which Yuuji found to be absolutely stupid.

After their mom died a few months after the twins were born, she told her husband Jin, "Take care of Sukuna for me please," as she passed. He was even their mom's favorite. Which made Jin biased towards him. Yuuji was second in the eyes of his parents too. 

Yuuji. The second son. Who was always second compared to Sukuna. 

And that's how it was their entire lives.