chapter 4: broken heart

• ☼ • ☾ • ✰ •

Back in middle school.

"Hey, um, Aiko," Yuuji said nervously. "So we've been hanging out for a while now and I think I really like you. Do you, maybe, want to start dating?" He asked her. It took him months to muster up the courage to ask her. 

She smiled at him apologetically. "Sure Yuuji, since you're kind of cute! Let's date." She held his hand and they walked down the hall together. 

It was smooth sailing at first, hanging out and having fun. Yuuji was glad that the first person he's ever liked also liked him back. They had a good relationship for a few weeks.

But then one day Sukuna went up to her and said, "Aiko, what do you even see in Yuuji? He's so boring and bland. You should just date me instead." He suggested.

To Yuuji's sadness, Aiko agreed. "Yeah, he really is boring. He was nice at first, but it's just not interesting anymore. The one I really wanted to date was you, but since you were dating another girl at the time I thought about settling for him. But are you really single now?" She asked.

Sukuna smirked. "Not anymore, now that I have you." They linked arms. "Better luck next time Yuuji!" And then they started walking away. 

A few days later, Aiko ran up to Yuuji, an ugly crying mess.

"I'm sorry Yuuji!" She apologized. "Sukuna broke up with me. I should've never gotten with him if he was just going to break my heart like that." 

She reached down and held Yuuji's hand. "Can we get back together again?" She asked.

Yuuji didn't know whether to accept her again or not, even though there was a part of him that still liked her. 

Then Sukuna walked over to them, tapped Yuuji on the shoulder and said. "You can have her. She's boring now. So I'll give her back to you." 

"Aren't you grateful you can have my sloppy seconds little brother?" He mocked. "Even with girls you'll always be second to me." Then he walked away.

• ☼ • ☾ • ✰ •

Yuuji snapped out of his flashback, annoyed that he had to remember that memory. He was still in class during their study period, and Megumi had just stormed away from Sukuna. 

I hope Megumi doesn't end up getting his heart broken, Yuuji thought.