chapter 15: valentine's day

• ☼ • ☾ • ✰ •

It was lunch time. Yuuji was at his locker putting his books away, but he was still distracted. He couldn't get the memory of what happened at pool out of his mind.

The memory of Sukuna grabbing Megumi's waist and kissing him while everyone cheered-

Yuuji shook his head. He felt jealous again. But he tried not to let it get to him. After all, it was only natural that Sukuna would kiss Megumi, since they are dating. 

But Yuuji couldn't help but think. If only I had won.

If only I got to be Megumi's first kiss. 

He took another glance at his locker. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. There was no chocolate, no letters, nothing. He expect anything, but there was a part of him that lowkey wanted chocolate. 

He slammed his locker so hard that the people around him looked at him in confusion. Yuuji himself didn't even realize he slammed his locker until he saw the faces of the people around him. "Uh, sorry, didn't mean to," he scratched his head, embarrassed.

Then he spotted Sukuna, who walked towards his locker. When he opened it up, letter, gifts, and chocolates over flowed from it. Everyone looked on in envy at all the chocolates he received. Sukuna however, just sighed. "What a bother. I know I'm popular, but I don't care about chocolate."

Then a girl scurried over to him and bowed, presenting to him a love letter taped to a box of chocolate. "This is for you! Please accept my feelings!" She asked earnestly. Once again, people looked on in jealousy. This was just one of many of love confessions for Sukuna.

Sukuna just pushed her gift away and looked at her in disgust. "Don't you know I'm already dating someone. So why would you give confess to me. How stupid." 

Then he took out a small box of chocolate, wrapped in purple ribbon. He held it up and smirked. "This is the only valentine's day gift I need. I'm trashing everything else." 

He knocked out all the chocolates and gifts from his locker into a pile on the floor. Then he said, "If any of you pathetic losers who didn't get chocolate want some, you can take some from me. Think of it as me being generous." 

Then he turned to Yuuji. "These are especially for you, since I know you got nothing. Aren't I a nice big brother? I'm giving you my leftovers!" He mocked, and he stepped on the chocolates on the ground as he left.

Yuuji crouched to the ground, picked up a chocolate, and mumbled to himself, "I don't even want these chocolates." He looked over all of them with distaste.

"I want the one that was in your hand."

• ☼ • ☾ • ✰ •

School had already ended. But Yuuji was still in the classroom, sitting at his desk. 

I don't want to go home, he thought. I don't feel like seeing Sukuna brag to me about how he got all that chocolate, especially the one with the blue ribbon. The one from him

Yuuji took out a book and started reading. He might as well read to get his mind off of things. He turned the pages, trying to get himself engrossed in the story. But all he could think about was Megumi kissing Sukuna, and he banged his head against the desk.

"Please get out of my brain," he told his memory. But the thing with memories, is that the more you try to forget something, the more you think about it. So Yuuji was left suffering in his own thoughts.

But then he heard the door slide open. Megumi entered, panting. "Oh you're still here!" He exclaimed. "Good. I wasn't able to meet with you at lunch and I thought you already went home, but I'm glad to see your still here."

Yuuji lifted his head up, surprised to see Megumi there. "What are you still doing here Megumi?" He asked. Then he realized and pointed to himself. "You were looking for me?"

Megumi took out a chair and sat down beside him. "Yeah, since I wanted to give you something." He reached inside his bag and took out a chocolate. It was wrapped in a ribbon the same color as Megumi's eyes. He placed it in Yuuji's hand. "This is my gift to you for Valentine's day. Sorry I didn't give it to you earlier," he apologized.

Yuuji shook his head. "No, it's fine. Don't worry." He held the box close to himself and smiled. "Thank you Megumi. It means a lot to me."

Megumi blushed a little. "No problem, I'm glad I could give it to you." He looked at Yuuji awkwardly. "Um, will you eat it?" He asked.

Yuuji looked down at the box. Then he looked at Megumi. "Right now? You want me to eat it right now?" He asked.

"Yeah," Megumi said. "I want to see your reaction to the taste." He looked at the box affectionately.

"Oh, okay." Yuuji unwrapped the ribbon and opened the box. Inside, there was a few chocolates shaped in a heart. He popped one in his mouth. 

But he immediately gagged. It tastes awful, Yuuji thought. What kind of chocolates are these!?

"Uh, Megumi?" Yuuji asked, trying to stomach the chocolate. "Where did you buy these from? I don't think you should ever buy them again," he advised.

Megumi looked down in shame. "They're not store bought. They're homemade. I made them myself."

Yuuji looked at him, surprised. These were Megumi's homemade chocolates?

Megumi continued. "I didn't want to just get you some random store bought ones with no feeling so I tried making them myself. Sucks that it turned out bad. Sorry Yuuji. You don't need to eat the rest of them."

"No, I'll eat them! I like them!" He put another one in his mouth, trying not to gag and instead smiling to show that they were good, even though they really weren't.

Megumi laughed. "It's okay, you don't have to lie to me. But I'm glad you accepted to them. I made them specially for you."

"Thank you," Yuuji said appreciatively. "It makes me really happy."

Then unexpectedly, he held Megumi's hand, and kissed the back of it. Megumi blushed. "W-woah, what are you doing?"

Yuuji just giggled. "It's just my way of saying thank you."

• ☼ • ☾ • ✰ •

Back at home, Yuuji cooking while Sukuna was lying down on the couch, holding a box of chocolates in his hand.

He untied the ribbon and popped one of the chocolates into his mouth. "Mm, delicious," he bragged. "As expected of Megumi's chocolate."

Yuuji looked at him suspiciously. "Megumi's chocolate actually tastes good?" He asked.

Sukuna looked back at him like he was stupid. "Obviously. He bought them for me." Sukuna looked at the wrapping of the chocolate. "I've never heard of this brand before, but who gives a fuck. Anything from Megumi tastes good," he bragged and he licked his lips.

But Yuuji thought to himself. Megumi got Sukuna store bought chocolate instead of homemade ones? 

And then he remembered Megumi's words. 

I didn't want to just get you some random store bought ones with no feeling so I tried making them myself.

I made them specially for you.

So those chocolates are just for me? Not for anyone else? He wondered. 

Then he smiled. Even though he didn't get chocolate from anyone else, and even though Megumi's homemade chocolate tastes horrible, he still made it specially for him. And just for him.

And he also got to give Megumi a kiss on the hand.

This valentine's day, he felt special.