chapter 25: gossiping

• ☼ • ☾ • ✰ •

The next day at school, Yuuji and Megumi were acting like a happy couple, although they were a bit shy about it. They arranged to hang out at lunch on the roof and to go on a date after school. Yuuji caught himself staring at Megumi all the time during class, and Megumi would look back at him, smiling.

But there was something Yuuji noticed. People were looking at them in a weird way. Almost like they were doing something wrong. He even saw some people whisper as they walked by.

Yuuji was at his locker, taking his lunch out, when he really started hearing the gossiping. 

He heard someone say, "I heard Megumi cheated on Sukuna with his twin brother Yuuji." And then they pointed directly at him, trying to be a little discreet but it didn't work. 

"Yeah, he's the worse!" Someone else said. "Miko saw them kissing in the classroom the other day. Makes you wonder if Megumi's been cheating on Sukuna the entire time."

"Is Megumi insane?" A third person said. "I can't believe he would actually cheat on Sukuna. And with Yuuji of all people! I could understand if it was the other way around though." They started laughing and walking away. 

Yuuji was about to say something in protest and argue that Megumi wasn't a cheater, and that he broke up with Sukuna properly, but they were already gone. Yuuji shook his head. So that's what the rumors were about.

When he met up with Megumi for lunch, he told him about what he had heard. Megumi just played it off like it was nothing. "Don't worry about it," he said. "Who cares about what other people think? We're together and that's what matters." He kissed Yuuji on the cheek. But Yuuji was more worried about Megumi than about himself, and he didn't want people to say bad things about Megumi like that. 

Megumi and Yuuji held hands as they walked back to class together. They were outside the classroom, leaning against the wall and having a conversation, when Yuuji saw someone look at them and snicker.

A girl told her friend, "They always have cleaning duty together don't they? They probably don't even clean, and just spend the entire time fucking. Must be why the classroom's still so dirty. It probably smells like them in there too. Eww, disgusting, I don't even want to go in there," she laughed, and her friend laughed along with her.

Yuuji was about to say something, but Megumi walked up to the girls and spoke up for him. "Then don't go in." He said. "You can just wait outside." He pointed at one of the girls. "I've seen your grades on the results board, and they're shit, so it's not like it'll make a difference whether you go to class or not."

He continued. "Plus, me and Yuuji always clean diligently, and we were even praised by the teacher for our hard work, so if you still think it's dirty then maybe you need to get your eyes checked."

His response made the girl get mad. "Shut up you dirty cheater. Cheating on Sukuna-san like that. He gave you special treatment and this is what you end up doing? You're the actual worst." She told Megumi.

This time Yuuji step into Megumi's defense. "You have no clue what you're talking about. Megumi never cheated. He and Sukuna broke up first, and then we started dating. Where are you hearing these rumors from?" He asked.

"Lies," he heard someone call out. Sukuna was walking down the hall towards them, accompanied by a group of his followers. "He did cheat on me. He was kissing Yuuji in the classroom before we broke up. And he even had the audacity to break up with me over text."

"That was just a few hours before you two broke up," Yuuji argued. "You can't even really count that as cheating."

"But it does count." Sukuna stated. "And it wasn't the only time. Megumi also ditched me on my birthday so he could make out with you in the park."